Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

jessops 360afd - please help a numpty!

bigbed 17 21 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2010 9:19AM
I bought a Jessops 360AFD for my 450d at the weekend. Worked in the shop, but when I got it home it wouldn't fire even with the test button. I took it back and got a replacement.

I notice that the TTL info on the back and the auto-zoom only work if the flash is set to point directly forwards (ie the head is horizontal). At any other angle the auto-zoom doesn't, and it doesn't show any TTL info. Is this correct behaviour?

After having one failure I'm a bit worried that this one might be a wrong'un as well, and that it's not taking notice of things like flash compensation I set on the camera, unless it's pointing directly forwards.

The 'manual' that comes with it is a single sheet of paper with no real info.

Any help gratefully received.
cheers,
Tim
mohikan22 Plus
17 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2010 9:27AM
AFAIK that is correct. i got the same flash sat in my draw. i moved on as sson as i could afford a better flash. BUT as a basic flash its still better than the pop up camera flash.
matt.
boony 14 978 3 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2010 11:29AM
all automatic hot shoe flashes ive had work this way , they cant measure the distance to the subject to give an accurate ttl exposure( that is when the head is in a bounce position) , it will expose as though the flash was pointed directly at the subject from the camera. this is why sometimes you need to add a stop or two to the output when using bounce flash off a ceiling etc
bigbed 17 21 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2010 3:16PM
Thanks for your responses. So now it's working OK, I just need to get on and play for a while. Then I think I'll need to invest in a set of radio triggers and start playing with the strobist stuff.

Cheers,
Tim

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.