Joby Grollipod SLR vs Trek-Tech Optera 460

irweazel 13 167 England
4 Aug 2010 9:37AM
looking for some advice or review of anyone who has used either of these

Want to be able to support a full size slr - MKIII or similar with wide angle or fisheye - not likely to need proper zoom lens on it - and be able to pan up so i can set the camera off remotely - it would be at ground level point up but not directly up.

any advice gratefully received

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
4 Aug 2010 12:47PM
I have got a Gorillapod Zoom SLR.
Waste of time if you ask me.
irweazel 13 167 England
4 Aug 2010 1:11PM
cool thats one crossed off

any got/tested/used the tech trek optera?
irweazel 13 167 England
5 Aug 2010 1:15PM
i have found the alternative that does what i want, sadly i don't think the ship to the uk or have a uk stockist

http://overxposed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=33
mondmagu 10 75 Ireland
6 Aug 2010 1:19PM
What about the Manfrotto 709B tabletop tripod, comes with a ball head.( check it out on Amazon).
I bought one in Dublin and came as a kit with an extension shaft and carry case for less than 70 euros.

Des
irweazel 13 167 England
9 Aug 2010 4:18PM
thanks but i am not sure its sturdy enough to take the weight i want
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
9 Aug 2010 6:00PM
I have both the Optera460 and a Gorillapod SLR Zoom "clone" - the Optera is definitely the better of the two IMO.
I can get it to hang on things better than the Gorillapod clone, it seems to be grippier.
It has one leg longer then the others, which can be used to get extra purchase/leverage/reach on whatever you're mounting it on, or used doubled back to support the front of the camera/lens assembly.
It also has a drawstring and mounting loops on the legs which can be used to limit the legs splaying out if needed or simply to give extra security if it should slip.
The only thing I wasn't sure about is the magnetic quick-release but I miy concern was unfounded - it does seem to be strong enough and has a security collar to lock it down anyway.
I've had a 5D (with grip) and a 100-400 zoom on it, fixed to the back of a dining chair - I wouldn't leave it unattended but it was certainly OK for hands-free use.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.