Judging our ePHOTOzine competitions.

Colin Smale 17 500 England
29 Oct 2004 7:49PM
I wonder, do you prefer your entries to be judged by an expert who will take note of sharpness, does the pic fit the comp title, who will recognise our artistic abilities and recognise the picture for what it is worth based on his/her experience or are you ok with members voting for best pic ??

Members of our local camera club are made up of absolute beginners to working professionals. Up until last year, whenever we had a club competition, members used to look at the rows of prints and then choose the one they felt was the winner and mark its number on a ballot paper.
We now invite an outside experienced judge to do the job.
Why ? We realised that the beginners who obviously did not have the experience, were voting for the print they thought was the 'prettiest' or 'most appealing' an out of focus shot of e.g. a seal pup with those lovely eyes would likely win even if the pic didn't fit the catagory.

I can see the appeal of including us members to participate in part of the running of this great site but personally I wish an expert could be the sole judge of our work, otherwise, no complaints !!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
29 Oct 2004 7:52PM
Heaven preserve us from "experts"!
FrankThomas 17 2.8k United Kingdom
29 Oct 2004 8:02PM
Expert - Ex is a has been and spurt is a drip under pressure
29 Oct 2004 8:41PM
Ha! Ha! Like it Frank. I must remember that one and I now declare myself a 'non-expert' - at anything.....
vtoth 16 271 Croatia
1 Nov 2004 1:28AM
well i agree with colin to a certain extent...

although this was still not as bad a case as ive seen on some other sites...
Mixpix 16 1.1k England
1 Nov 2004 7:49AM
I think we just have to accept any system Pete chooses. I'd prefer competitions not to be won on clicks. My reason is that in the recent Birds competition. Timecatcher entered a stunning shot, a real winner but he unfortunately had his name all over it so I didn't vote for it purely as it wasn't annonymous. There are always ways of letting your mates know what your pic is so they can vote for it I guess but independant judging would be much better I think.
1 Nov 2004 8:46AM
I nearly forgot to vote for the 'Balance' comp, have done so now but my vote didn't register (Pete), even when I refreshed it two or three times.
I think, personally, that we shouldn't see how many votes have been placed, although I didn't want it to sway me, it really did. Even though Pete said there were only 82 entries I found it very hard to choose, everyone is so good on this site LOL Crawl.
I still wanted to choose my own photo or I wouldn't have put it forward!!!!
p.s. does Pete know if we vote for our own pic 300 times?
Cathy
Mixpix 16 1.1k England
1 Nov 2004 9:02AM
Cathy, if you had the time and was really that bothered about winning with the vote system that is a distinct possibility, You also get all your friends and family to register and vote as well. Thats why I prefer independant judging. At the end of the day though its the taking part I think.
Mick
1 Nov 2004 9:21AM
I do hope no one resorted to that! This was a fun competition and yes there was a prize but no one should even contemplate that idea. K.
adonoghue 16 522 England
1 Nov 2004 11:01AM
I don't have enough friends to warrant that K Wink

Anyway - c'mon Pete...you've had a good few hours to add it all up!!!! Tongue
1 Nov 2004 11:18AM
LOL! I'm sure you have Alan you're just being modest Wink. I know where I finished anyway unless someone sneaked in a couple of extra votes at the last minute but I doubt it! I think Pete may be a bit busy, got two competitions finishing today.
adonoghue 16 522 England
1 Nov 2004 11:33AM
hehehe

Mine was (the last time I looked) in the top 10...dunno where it is now though
1 Nov 2004 11:33AM
Results are in.......................
adonoghue 16 522 England
1 Nov 2004 11:40AM
Ooh K - just 1 out from the top 4...

Well done Smile
1 Nov 2004 12:02PM
Thanks Alan sniff, blub, whimper

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.