Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Just a minor question!

kenp 15 96 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2008 7:32PM
Could someone tell me what "Unique views" are in the galleries?........thanks all...........Kenp
18 Jul 2008 7:37PM
What is says on the tin, one viewer one 'unique' view, however should that same viewer come back again it will not change the unique view but it will change the 'views' .

Or, has has been described before... tom **** and harry each view your picture, giving it 3 unique views. Tom comes back for a few more times because he likes it but the unique views stay the same because hes already been before.. however the 'views' will record a number each time he visits.
conrad 17 10.9k 116
18 Jul 2008 7:39PM
Actually, I think "Unique views" is misleading. "Unique viewers" would be a lot more clear.

Or, if you want to be technically correct, I suspect it should be "Views from one and the same IP address."
RogBrown 14 3.1k 10 England
18 Jul 2008 8:45PM

Quote:Or, if you want to be technically correct, I suspect it should be "Views from one and the same IP address."

Actually, if you want to be really picky, "one" and "the same" mean the same thing. Wink
MikeRC 16 3.6k United Kingdom
18 Jul 2008 10:02PM
I thought I understood it but on my last upload I have :
59 views and 28 unique views.

Does that mean that everyone who looked at the shot....looked at it twice ?
....why would they do that ?....it's no masterpiece.

....Mike
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
18 Jul 2008 10:22PM
errm I think you set very very high standard for yourself Mike - definatly nothing wrong in that, but it is a good shot and I can see why some people would want to look at it again (some might even be looking at it more than twice!)
User_Removed 16 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2008 8:40AM
I've just been to look at Mikes Barn owl the stats say it has 174 views and 2 unique views LOL
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
19 Jul 2008 12:22PM
That is his showcase = his most recent is in his gallery - go to view gallery to see all his photos - its an eagle
19 Jul 2008 12:28PM

Quote:Does that mean that everyone who looked at the shot....looked at it twice ?
....why would they do that ?....it's no masterpiece.

LOL... actually I think many do look at the large version Mike. Which counts as an extra view. The 'views' are rather misleading I'm afraid. The unique views are much more accurate about how many people really looked at your photo. Regrettably it's probably a lot less than we all thought lol
conrad 17 10.9k 116
19 Jul 2008 4:27PM

Quote:if you want to be really picky, "one" and "the same" mean the same thing

True, but it's a set expression, used to emphasise the meaning, and there's nothing wrong with using it, in that respect.

Quote:I think many do look at the large version Mike. Which counts as an extra view

That's what I thought the explanation was. Could be true.
MikeRC 16 3.6k United Kingdom
19 Jul 2008 5:19PM

Quote:I've just been to look at Mikes Barn owl the stats say it has 174 views and 2 unique views LOL

....don't think you can use that...we didn't have unique views when that was posted :

Why do we need both views and unique views ?
...why not just views but with unique views rules ?

....seems to me that would make more sense...but what do I know ....LOL

....Mike
19 Jul 2008 6:04PM

Quote:...why not just views but with unique views rules ?

yup

Quote:I've just been to look at Mikes Barn owl the stats say it has 174 views and 2 unique views LOL

that means that two persons had a look at that photo since the new 'unique views' system started. For the older photos the 'unique views' number is of course not useful/representative.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.