Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Just how good are image stabilisers for panning shots?

srh 15 54 1 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2004 1:42PM
Am considering investing in a new lens. Before doing so, am interested to know just how effective the Canon image stabiliser is for panned shots. If anyone out there has any experience of using them for motorsport shots, then I would be grateful for any comments.

Also, is anyone using any of the Sigma OS lenses? Their 80-400mm EX OS lens is one that I am considering. Any compatibility issues with the Canon 10D?

Cheers,

Simon.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
8 Jun 2004 1:57PM
Just spent all day photographing tennis players on a EF100-400isL with the panning stabiliser switched on. Not one shot in 800 out of focus.
Not motor sport I know, but as the players are much closer, their perceived speed to the lens is considerably faster.
EOSPETE 17 147
8 Jun 2004 2:21PM
There are two modes for image stablization on Canon L series lenses including 100-400IS. Not sure what happens with Sigma OS kit

IS2 correct shake perpendicular to the panning movement only as so is best for action panning.

If you are panning very often a slow shutter of around 1/30 gives a really creative effect.

Regards
P
User_Removed 17 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2004 5:20PM
I've got and use a Canon 75-300IS for aircraft work and very pleased with the Results.
L.S.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.