WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Just starting as a freelance photographer

NatalieKinnear 13 280 8
10 Mar 2007 12:37PM
If anyone's got any advice or any specific do's and don'ts, I'd love to hear it. Thanks
afunkyname 14 354
10 Mar 2007 1:51PM
exactly what type of photography do you do?
NatalieKinnear 13 280 8
10 Mar 2007 3:25PM
Creative, close-up, macro photography. Some nature shots often with an abstract edge to them. Some pet photography. I have a photo up in the critique gallery at the moment, which is very much the type of image I like to create.
tigs 16 145 3 Netherlands
10 Mar 2007 3:56PM
I have already seen your photo in the critique gallery - great work btw!! Unfortunately I can't help you out with advice for freelancers since that's not what I do... but I wanted to point you to this page - it might be helpful to you Smile
JonR 13 26
10 Mar 2007 6:01PM
How are you intending to make money? Who will your clients be?
stevekhart 14 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2007 6:06PM
Are you meaning to earn your bread and butter as a freelance tog, or to earn a bit extra from the day job? I'm building up my work as freelance, focussing on corporate customers (cos the pay is better than joe public or picture libraries!) but the better paid jobs seem to be those that are not so creative. What kind of opportunities have you identified so far in what sectors?
NatalieKinnear 13 280 8
10 Mar 2007 6:50PM
Thanks for the link tigs. In answer to JonR and stevekhart, I'm a stay at home mum, the kids are now teenagers and I have the time to develop my love of photography further. So, initially, I'm just looking to start to earn a little, and hopefully build up from there.

At present I'm with two photo agencies and have made a little from royalties. I wouldn't mind approaching potential buyers myself, but am not clued up on how to go about that or what would be needed by way of a licence agreement.

I'm hoping to submit images to Alamy, but I got a bit stuck on their submission requirements.
stevekhart 14 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2007 7:36PM
Peter_Davey does stuff with alamy - he did a talk about it at Focus.
NatalieKinnear 13 280 8
11 Mar 2007 7:51PM
Thanks Steve. When I've got the PM facility and if I'm still stuck, I'll message him. Thanks
peter_davey 14 1.4k England
11 Mar 2007 9:35PM
too late I've found you Smile))))

too much to write down really, so give me a ring - number is on my web site - any lunchtime would bebest for me.

Happy to help.

Peter
joecool 14 350 United States
12 Mar 2007 3:02AM
Laura you mentioned an interesting point about the agencies. Can you share more how it works and how to find an agancy to represent you?

TO: Peter Davey - I would love to hear "the stuff for alamy" you do as well. Can you share it here?

Thanx
P.
mattw 16 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2007 5:30AM
Also have a look at FPME - see the big advert on the left.

Mattw
NatalieKinnear 13 280 8
12 Mar 2007 3:19PM

Quote:Laura you mentioned an interesting point about the agencies. Can you share more how it works and how to find an agancy to represent you?

One of the agencies I'm with, photos-u-want, are a relatively new agency and are actively looking for new photographers at present.
joecool 14 350 United States
14 Mar 2007 6:31AM
But that looks like a photo library. I thought it's more assignments oriented work...
NatalieKinnear 13 280 8
14 Mar 2007 8:15AM
No I haven't done any paid commissioned work yet. Maybe that will come once I'm more established as a freelancer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.