Get 5% off Loupedeck CT with code: Ephotozine5

Just starting as a freelance photographer

Geoffphoto 14 13.5k United Kingdom
14 Mar 2007 8:22AM

Quote:No I haven't done any paid commissioned work yet. Maybe that will come once I'm more established as a freelancer.

I've been working as a freelance photographer for the last 20 years Laura - and it's still tough sometimes ( and dont get any easier !!), so I would'nt go and book that holiday in the Caribbean just yet. You just have to hassle everybody when you start out and get your work out there how you can, remember picture editors won't come to you if they don't know you, YOU have to go to them and tell them just how good you are and back it up with your pictures.
Good luck ( you are going to need it )
HTH
Geoff
NatalieKinnear 13 280 8
14 Mar 2007 9:03AM
Hi Geoff, thanks for your comments. No holidays booked yet! At the moment it's as much as we can do keeping up with the expense of having four teenaged kids! :o) So basically any little extra that I can earn will be a bit of a help.
stuwhitt 16 1.4k United Kingdom
14 Mar 2007 3:10PM
You could try joining the BFP, aswell as publishing the excellent Market Handbook they send a monthly newsletter with updates on the market and also they run a correspondence course on freelance photography. Also as Mattw pointed out a subscription to FPME is a sound investment.
Good luck

StuSmile
whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2007 4:07PM
Try to get your name out there when you know what you want to shoot, get a web site, send out some polite emails, get some business cards & hand them out. If you push, you can get the response.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.