Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Just what use is a 35mm f2.8 lens?

StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
8 Apr 2011 11:06PM
You may not see it for awhile. It looks like the shortages of stock as a result of the earthquake in Japan are beginning to show. BHPhoto in NYC has 4 pages of Canon lenses unavailable right now.
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
8 Apr 2011 11:13PM
Aye I'm not surprised, I've seen a few people after some more limited long range lenses having to do a hunt around to find a good supply. I just hope that along with Japan recovering that the shops also can survive this period - I expect there will be a fair few shops (and not just camera shops) that suffer through this period with a simple lack of stock.

Checking before ordering (phone) was something that I did this time simply because of that - heck I'd probably have checked even if the lens was green listed on WE because of how quick stock might well be shifting (nothing sells stuff like panic purchasing)
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
16 Apr 2011 10:23PM
And its here now!
Initial views on the lens - AF is better than my 70mm macro, well its quieter and seems abit more nippy, though the barrel has less extension to it so that does help it out a fair amount. Front element is also recessed into the body of the lens (like the 70mm) so using it without the lens hood (which is really like a filter without any glass in size) is perfectly doable whilst still having the front element protected when working close.
Image quality seems very good, though I've not given it a propper testing - I think it might be a little more prone to some colour fringing at f2.8, though its the first time I've ever really looked at this and in quick tests next to my 70mm both appeared fairly similar (I just sorta noticed it more so with the 35mm, but that might just be the "new lens" factor).
Focusing distance at 1:1 is, as expected, tiny and certainly makes lighting at that range a tricky prospect.
Manual focusing gives a little grainy sound as you can hear/feel the gears being moved, not quite as smooth as my other lenses, but certainly no barrier.
Mount to the camera body is very solid and actually needs a little bit of force to get the lens fully locked into the mount. This is one lens that certainly would not easily dismount itself.
Build quality is a metallic outside with plastic focus ring grip - overall it feels very solid and certainly feels sturdy.

Overall it feels like a good solid lens, well built and with good overall features for what one expects. The slight colour fringing aspect (and I might be missusing the name here) at f2.8 might be its only real detracting element that I've found this far - however I'll have to do a side by side test against my other lenses to really see if this is a weakness of the lens itself or just the regular effect of shooting wide open.
elowes 17 2.8k United Kingdom
17 Apr 2011 9:42PM
I don't know what value a 35mm macro has. Very little in real terms as a macro on a DSLR if you want to use it for macro

35mm was once considered the one lens to have for street photography. I had one once on an OM1 as a 28mm was to expensive. Sold it to get a 28mm.

It all depends on what you do and what you 'want' to do.

P is for program, I don't know of any other P for. I don't know of a 'anything' on professional cameras which would leave anyone in doubt about how they were shooting?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.