Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Justin Trudeau black face

capto Plus
7 5.8k 12 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2019 11:22PM
How are we all supposed to get along together when so many people have such thin skins?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.8k 36 Norway
20 Sep 2019 7:28AM
Ancient history, it happened years ago.
The only reason this has emerged is because the Canadians are in the middle of an election campaign, otherwise this would never have been dragged to the surface at this point in time.
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
20 Sep 2019 8:50AM
If someone does "blackface" with the intention of ridiculing coloured people, it should be called out for what it is: racism.
If someone darkens their skin as part of a fancy dress costume, then it's something different - there is no intent to offend.

From what I first read, Trudeau did the second. Further stories coming out suggest maybe it was both.

But you know, I did some stupid things when I was younger, some of which I would be horrified to be made public Blush It doesn't say anything about the person I am now.
gcarth Plus
15 3.2k 1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2019 11:05AM

Quote:If someone does "blackface" with the intention of ridiculing coloured people, it should be called out for what it is: racism.
If someone darkens their skin as part of a fancy dress costume, then it's something different - there is no intent to offend.

From what I first read, Trudeau did the second. Further stories coming out suggest maybe it was both.

But you know, I did some stupid things when I was younger, some of which I would be horrified to be made public Blush It doesn't say anything about the person I am now.

I agree. I don't know the details of the other cases where Trudeau blacked up but let's face it if you're at a Fancy Dress Party as Aladdin, we all know Aladdin has a brown face (maybe Trudeau overdid things and made his face black). That said, I think the blackening up in the BBC's Black and White Minstrel Show was appallingly degrading and insulting.
I have respect for the Queen and some of the Royal family (even though I'm a Republican) but I thought there was far too much fuss about Prince Harry when he dressed up as a Nazi (I doubt if he ever in way supported Nazi ideas). I would have thought he was probably taking the p*** out of Hitler and the Nazis.
Spike Milligan frequently dressed as Hitler in his TV performances and he was clearly ridiculing Hitler mercilessly.
I think there's far too much PC these days... and it seems to keep escalating. In the meantime really important issues are not being addressed
Just Jas 17 26.3k 1 England
20 Sep 2019 1:28PM
"... I thought there was far too much fuss about Prince Harry when he dressed up as a Nazi (I doubt if he ever in way supported Nazi ideas). I would have thought he was probably taking the p*** out of Hitler and the Nazis."

My thoughts exactly at the time.

There was a film made parodying Hitler a few years ago. This got rave reviews.

I don't see the difference, myself.
Toobi_Won 8 77 7 England
20 Sep 2019 1:42PM

Quote: think there's far too much PC these days... and it seems to keep escalating.

If you don't know already, Garth, take a peep at the teachings from the Frankfurt School and their 11 point and the reasoning's behind it's creation.
gcarth Plus
15 3.2k 1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2019 3:44PM

Quote:
Quote: think there's far too much PC these days... and it seems to keep escalating.

If you don't know already, Garth, take a peep at the teachings from the Frankfurt School and their 11 point and the reasoning's behind it's creation.

Now, I recently opened a topic here on conspiracy theories and how people might believe in them because the 'powers that be' are giving out contradictory information in the reports of their investigations into disasters like 9/11 and the Twin Towers.

So, I've taken a peep at the 11 point conspiracy theory criticism of the Frankfurt School and frankly I think these 11 points are a completely delusional interpretation of what the Frankfurt School is about.
Many of us can agree that PC has gone too far but I suspect that it is probably an over-reaction to the more sinister right wing nonsense and anti-Semitism that this '11 point' conspiracy right-wing supported thinking.
Of course, their may be some subversiveness in a few individuals of the Frankfurt School but there appears to be no real evidence.
There was one interesting point that the '11' point conspiracy theorists made about the Frankfurt School being responsible for dumbing down the media. Well, the media certainly has been dumbed down but not by the Frankfurt School or the left like these conspiracy theorists allege but by the right and those who pretend to be centrist.
Well, that's my interpretation and of course I do realise there are many evils at the extremes of both right and left ends of the political spectrum.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2019 4:47PM
Sometimes PC just becomes a battering ram to silence an opersition. Certainly acceptable/popularist language controls how we are allowed to express ourselves - sometimes stopping even talking about issues.
Not all language changes are bad though the NSPCC PANTS message is a useful protection and vocalisation method for children.

The latest odd thing for me in the PC camp is "cultural appropriation" where a minority culture can complain a majority culture is stealing or disrespecting their culture. Black face to make fun of some one would be a clear case of this. However cultural appropriation is also complained about by some when different cultures dress like each other to typically impress on others with how good they look - At this point i see this as a positive where people want to find good with other cultures and share it. I wonder then about the motive of those claiming cultural appropriation as a bad thing for emulating the beauty of another.

ALso as Big Bri says - we all do stupid things now and again.

If your a criminal you do your time then you are free again. But in the PC world you can never serve your time - Perhaps the PC police are themselves non PC occasionally with this stalking of others.
Toobi_Won 8 77 7 England
20 Sep 2019 7:26PM

Quote:...
Many of us can agree that PC has gone too far but I suspect that it is probably an over-reaction to the more sinister right wing nonsense and anti-Semitism that this '11 point' conspiracy right-wing supported thinking.,,,
Of course, their may be some subversiveness in a few individuals of the Frankfurt School but there appears to be no real evidence.
There was one interesting point that the '11' point conspiracy theorists made about the Frankfurt School being responsible for dumbing down the media. Well, the media certainly has been dumbed down but not by the Frankfurt School or the left like these conspiracy theorists allege but by the right and those who pretend to be centrist.

Not having a dog in this fight, Garth but someone looking for clarity on this, you mention right wing anti-Semitism, yet the only anti-Semitism we hear/read about seems to be coming from one direction only, Corbyn's Labour Party and supporters or is this also a ploy by the dumbed down, right wing BBC and right wing Guardian, to undermine Corbyn's chances of election?
Fma7 4 986 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2019 7:59PM

Quote:
Not having a dog in this fight, Garth but someone looking for clarity on this, you mention right wing anti-Semitism, yet the only anti-Semitism we hear/read about seems to be coming from one direction only, Corbyn's Labour Party and supporters or is this also a ploy by the dumbed down, right wing BBC and right wing Guardian, to undermine Corbyn's chances of election?

I'm taking bets on his answer
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
20 Sep 2019 9:03PM

Quote: right wing Guardian

LOL
gcarth Plus
15 3.2k 1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2019 9:49PM

Quote:Not having a dog in this fight, Garth but someone looking for clarity on this, you mention right wing anti-Semitism, yet the only anti-Semitism we hear/read about seems to be coming from one direction only, Corbyn's Labour Party and supporters or is this also a ploy by the dumbed down, right wing BBC and right wing Guardian, to undermine Corbyn's chances of election?

It is indeed a ploy by the dumbed down right wing BBC and largely right wing Guardian to undermine Corbyn's chances of election? I actually think that is about spot on!
Anyone with an ounce of objectivity can see that there has always been a smear campaign against Corbyn from the start.
As you say, we hear a lot about anti-Semitism in the Labour Party. However we rarely see any evidence.
The mainstream media rarely mentions anti-Semitism in the Tory party or the Islamaphobia which is rife among certain right wing Tories beause the media is almost completely dominated by the right wing.
Even a cursary look at history will show you that the extreme right are far and away the biggest offenders when it comes to anti-Semitism (the Nazis and white supremecists being perfect examples).
There have been a number of cases were the Israeli Embassy has been apparently trying to undermine Corbyn through stirring up false claims of anti-Semitism. The ruling elites in the US, UK and Israel are determined to prevent a genuine labour government coming to power.
gcarth Plus
15 3.2k 1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2019 9:58PM

Quote:
Quote: right wing Guardian

LOL

Well, Bri, I think he's not so far off the mark. We both know that the Guardian is supposed to be the intelligent person's paper that supports the Left but in recent years it has become increasingly influenced by the right wing.
That said, there are a still a few good articles in the Guardian that are left-leaning.
It's complicated because to my mind the paper gives a token nod to radical ideas but the overall agenda is obviously to make money, stay in business and please it's sponsors and guess what - those sponsors aren't Corbynites - they are from big business. Sad
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
21 Sep 2019 1:46AM

Quote: the Guardian is supposed to be the intelligent person's paper that supports the Left but in recent years it has become increasingly influenced by the right wing.
That said, there are a still a few good articles in the Guardian that are left-leaning

The Guardian these days is just a Brexit Remoaners wail-sheet ! Tongue
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.5k 1 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2019 8:01AM
I would never describe the BBC or Guardian as right wing, but then maybe it's relative to ones position.

However to original topic.

I hate (strong word yes) how we currently look back and judge historic events by modern standards and sensibilities.

Was Al Jolson a great performer, did the Black & White Minstrel Show Entertain.
Maybe not acceptable today but at that time yes.

In the context of a fancy dress party the context is very different - ie context is relevant.
Or do we start vilifying the people who dress in the various army uniforms that we like to photograph at re-enactments.

Currently we seem to lack tolerance and have to fall in line with the easily offended.

Incidentally, I don't think I'd be a Trudeau voter/supporter but I do think this is out of proportion - blatant electioneering strategy.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.