Kid with santa portraits help please

wbk666 15 61
13 Dec 2005 1:06PM
I've been pressganged into helping my sons school by taking some pictures of the reception class pupils with santa.
kid sat on santas knee etc,
Ive never done anything like this before so any help would be appreciated.
I'll be useing a canon 350d with either the 18-55 lens or a 70-300 lens.
Flash is a 430ex on the cameras hot shoe.
i have a homemade reflector and a tripod.
background will be plain blue cloth.

please give all hints and tips you can

thanks
Wayne

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dp 16 165 3 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2005 1:20PM
The gear you have sounds fine. Take plenty of batteries for the flashgun. You will probably be better of using a suitable christmas tree as your background (I guarantee there will be one in the hall) The only problems you may have will be scared/shy subjects. The best way to approach this is to have the whole lined up (sitting down is often better) and have the teacher bring them to santa one at a time. Speak to santa first and ask him, once he has found out what they want for christmas to give them their present and ask them to smile at you. Bash! done. 1 shot of each unless eyes shut should suffice.
You may also want to shoot a group shot with santa in the middle.
Just be wary that if you shoot loads you will almost certainly be asked for prints and this gets expensive.

Good luck

Dave
wbk666 15 61
13 Dec 2005 10:34PM
thanks for that Dave.
would i be better using camera in a portrait aspect rather than a landscape aspect so the the flash is to the side rather than over the top of the camera?
i was thinking of firing off a burst off 3 shots for each child in case of blinks, would that be enough?
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
14 Dec 2005 12:14AM
You've probably thought of this already, but it might be worth mentioning again.

Make sure you have some sort of disclaimer/confirmation from the school that the children's parents have agreed to having their child photographed.

Yes, I know it's a sad state of affairs when this has to be thought of, but you will be protecting yourself.

Ashley
14 Dec 2005 12:22AM
Landscape or portrait, depends on what suits. A burst of 3 should be fine. Schools work we tend to shoot two at most, it is usually 'look this way, say pressies (or anything else with an eee on the end)' shoot on the eee. Check the display on the camera, if neccessary shoot again. If you shoot too many, you will find the flashgun starts taking an age to recharge. Depends on how quick they want you to work.
You will probably find that the school have sorted out the permssion forms. A lot of schools ask parents to sign this kind of disclaimer at the start of the childs school life. Check though.

Dave
wbk666 15 61
14 Dec 2005 2:56AM
being a govorner of the school the parents are happy that i have passed all the relevent police checks and they have been made aware that photos are being taken so that should cover the legal side of things.
regarding on how fast i have to work that isnt a problem as they are only a small school.
i was thinking let santa sit the child down and speak tot hem, then when hes given them thier pressie thats to time to take the photo. pressie gives them something to do with thier hands (can be a problem in portraits i believe) then snap as the kiddie says cheese, pressies, sausages etc (well they are only 5 to 6 years old and somethimes need a little help smiling)
whats the odds on at least one of them being in floods of tears?
thanks for all the help
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2005 4:19AM
Slightly off topic, but a very sore point for me. Its my 6 year old's Nativity today and he's Caspar one of the Kings.

I've had children at the school since 1993 and have taken photos of them at every Nativity since then.

This year the Head who is a great man has sadly announced 'No Photos'. Apparantly f just one parent objected to having a photographer there - professional or parent then the school and the photographer could be in trouble, so just double check!

Most parents of course are just sad they can't record this important event in their child's life.
wbk666 15 61
14 Dec 2005 6:10AM
our school allow video and cameras but not camera phones.
ALSO they make it very clear that the person taking the pics is and will be held responsible.
i myself have just come back from my youngest sons xmas playand a lot of the parents would like copies of the shots i got.
tepot 16 4.4k United Kingdom
14 Dec 2005 6:43AM

Quote:Make sure you have some sort of disclaimer/confirmation from the school that the children's parents have agreed to having their child photographed.

i hardly think this would apply in this situation since the school has asked for the photo's to be taken.
14 Dec 2005 7:03AM
'whats the odds on at least one of them being in floods of tears?'

I have closed the book on that one! The mark of how good you are will be whether you can stop them long enough to get a picture Wink

Dave
wbk666 15 61
14 Dec 2005 9:12AM
oh no, i thought it was just about taking the shots LOL

oh dear.

if ever you see the film BAD SANTA then thats pretty much what the kids are in for :0P

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.