Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Kindle Paperwhite

SlowSong Plus
9 7.1k 30 England
19 Apr 2017 10:44AM
I've searched on line but can't find a definitive answer so perhaps someone on here can help. I have a new Kindle Paperwhite, which is lovely, but I can't figure out how to remove books I've read from the device. I can delete them entirely via Amazon on the computer, but all I want to do is get rid of the clutter of old books on the Kindle only.
Any tips?

I've followed various suggestions I've found via forums etc. but they've not worked. It was easy on my old Kindle, but as with everything, stuff has got more complicated.
Tku
Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
19 Apr 2017 11:10AM
I just tried it. Like you I had old Kindle and now have Paperwhite. I notice on some books in the library when I tap the three dots to get the menu I see an item "Remove from Device", on others "Delete This Book".

Can't understand how it works yet. You might need to post here
SlowSong Plus
9 7.1k 30 England
19 Apr 2017 11:15AM
Thanks Chris. The old one had the square button to press to the left to remove a book, but I can't even find a Remove from Device option on the PW. Are you in your Library when you found those options?
Will have another look when I get home.
TaVM.
x
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
19 Apr 2017 11:17AM
Yes, in library, in list view, either press the three dots or do a long press on the item name. But, as I said, not all have "Remove from Device" as an option but do have "Delete this book"! Which I can't figure.
SlowSong Plus
9 7.1k 30 England
19 Apr 2017 11:24AM
When I got the PW all my old books appeared on it although I had already removed them from the old device. The new book had a tick by it to show it was new. When I did a long press on one of the old books it just started reloading onto the Kindle. I'll try Delete this Book, if I can find it, on one I don't care if I lose altogether. I also wish there was an option to Select All. It seems you have to go through each item one at a time.
Sad
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
19 Apr 2017 11:58AM
You can plug it in to your PC and manage it that way, just by drag and drop. If you want an app to do it there's none better than the free program Calibre
SlowSong Plus
9 7.1k 30 England
19 Apr 2017 12:26PM
Yes, I've got Calibre. Yet another thing to get your head around. Grin
digicammad 14 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2017 12:55PM
I recently changed my Kindle from the original with keyboard, to the touch screen version which I think has the same OS as the Paper White. If I want to remove a book I just long press the book in question and choose 'Remove from device'.

The thing I haven't yet worked out how to do is get it to only show me books which are not in a collection. They still appear in my library even though I am viewing in collection mode and I have to wade through them to find one I haven't read.

Any tipe?

Ian
SlowSong Plus
9 7.1k 30 England
19 Apr 2017 1:06PM

Quote:If I want to remove a book I just long press the book in question and choose 'Remove from device'.

I understand that, but I don't seem to have the Remove from Device option. When I do a long press it starts reloading the book onto the Kindle. Most annoying. It must be user error. It seems so clear what to do, but in practice it's not doing wot it ought. Grin

digicammad 14 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2017 1:32PM
Apologies. Smile

I think the difference between 'Remove from device' and 'Delete...' is based upon whether you bought the book from Amazon or downloaded it from somewhere else (like a computer).
SlowSong Plus
9 7.1k 30 England
19 Apr 2017 2:56PM
I bought all my books from Amazon. When I long-hold on a title I want to remove all I get are the following options:
Add to Home
Add to Collection
Book Description
View on Goodreads

I'm tearing my hair out here! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
SlowSong Plus
9 7.1k 30 England
19 Apr 2017 3:19PM
OK- I finally found out where I can speak to a PERSON on Amazon, and I think they've solved it. In the Library, just underneath the icon bar on the left are two options, All or Downloaded. My Kindle was set to ALL and therefore listed all the books I have bought. When I switched to Downloaded only those items I haven't read are listed.

Next to my new unread book on the right is a black circle with an arrow inside. If I lightly press on the black circle I then get the option to Remove from Device. Not exactly clear, but hey ho. I found this bit out myself. Proud or what! Grin

I think that's it, fingers crossed. I hope that's helped any others on here who were also suitably puzzled. Let me know.
Smile
StrayCat Plus
13 18.8k 3 Canada
20 Apr 2017 8:41AM
I don't have a problem with Amazon books, but it took me awhile to find books I installed from Calibre. I still use a Kobo, but my wife has a new Paperwhite, a very good ereader. I just wish my ipad wasn't so darn heavy, I enjoy reading on it, and it's just too heavy for reading in bed. There are quite a few ebooks available on Amazon, free, that I've wanted to read for quite some time, but couldn't convert them to read on Kobo. Now I can read anything on the ipad, and this past winter I've gone through quite a few.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.