PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Kodak Weddings

Jay44 14 1.4k Wales
30 Jan 2006 10:50PM
Just read this:

Kodak Weddings to close at the end of 2006

Kodak Weddings and Elegante Wedding Photography will cease operations at the end of 2006.

Customers with bookings for 2006 will not be affected by the closure and will be fully served as previously agreed by Kodak Weddings and Elegante Wedding Photography.

Customers who have booked services in 2007 will be directly contacted by a Kodak Weddings customer advisor to discuss their options. This includes Kodak Wedding's assistance in finding customers alternative high quality photography services for their wedding.

No further bookings are being taken by the company.

Kodak has taken a number of other steps in recent years to ensure that the company's business plans are in line with its long-term digital imaging strategy.

This strategy has seen Kodak establish itself as a leader in new high quality digital imaging technologies and systems, while sustaining its leadership in traditional film-based photography businesses.

I worked for them while on *maternity leave* from my business.

Do you think the closure is do to the fact that wedding bookings are falling sharply?

Blimey.... this is quite mind boggling news!

Jay

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Neil_Wardle 17 101
30 Jan 2006 10:55PM
There's nothing like being on the ball.... and this is NOTHING like being on the ball ...LOL

Quote:fact that wedding bookings are falling sharply

What fact? - old news and b******t in one posting - quite an achievement.....Smile

Seriously though Jacqueline - this information has been around for a long while now and with regard to wedding bookings - we don't see this at all. We turn away more work than we can cope with so I feel the opposite is true. With the new Civil Partnership Act, wedding and partnership photography is at an all time high in our opinion Smile

Neil
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
30 Jan 2006 10:57PM
Calm down, Barrie, calm down.
Wink
UserRemoved 14 47
30 Jan 2006 10:58PM

Quote:Do you think the closure is do to the fact that wedding bookings are falling sharply?

Is this a common view?

Rob
Neil_Wardle 17 101
30 Jan 2006 11:02PM

Quote:Calm down, Barrie, calm down

Sorry Keith - the drugs haven't quite kicked in yet.

It's Neil by the way Keith - Barrie is my partner in crime (so to speak) who is currently 'curtain twitching' waiting for City Link to bring his new camera today..... (which is why we are advertising our Canon 1D-IIs in the Classifieds if anyone is interested!
Jay44 14 1.4k Wales
30 Jan 2006 11:57PM
It may be old news to you, but I've only just found about it... pardon me for breathing!
Jay44 14 1.4k Wales
30 Jan 2006 11:58PM

Quote:Do you think the closure is do to the fact that wedding bookings are falling sharply?

I have spoken to a few local photographers lately and that is the vibe I am getting.
Jay44 14 1.4k Wales
31 Jan 2006 12:03AM
Let me just add, that this month's Professional Photographer has an advertisement by Kodak weddings for photographers to work for them... so yeah... I've been living under a rock and never knew about their closure.... and as said before living in the arse end of nowhere doesn't help!

Blimey.... may I should just keep quiet and not post anything!

Sad
Neil_Wardle 17 101
31 Jan 2006 12:04AM
Sorry to have been so harsh - didn't really mean it that way it's just that this has been known to most wedding pros (I was going by your profile) for some while as well as being debated in a thread on this forum just a few days ago.

Do you really feel that the number of wedding bookings is down (you do say it's a fact but I hope that's just a figure of speech 'cos as I said, I think the opposite is true).

In our opionion (and that of many weding pros and more importantly, their customers),Kodak Weddings (Elegante) went down the proverbial toilet because of their pooor customer service.

No business can operate at 100% customer satisfaction all the time and you will always find that you have one or two customers who will find something to moan about whatever you do but in the case of Elegante, it seemed like the majority of customers felt aggrieved

Again - sorry to have been so harsh - it wasn't meant that way it's just that you regurgitated a statement that was posted on this same forum just a short while ago

Quote:living in the arse end of nowhere

I thought you lived in South Wales.... oh yes, I see what you mean now Wink

Neil (North Wales!)
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
31 Jan 2006 12:06AM
Obviously Barrie is so busy with weddings he never has time to post on here nowadays! ;o(

Done many civil partnerships yet, Neil?
Jay44 14 1.4k Wales
31 Jan 2006 12:10AM

Quote:I thought you lived in South Wales.... oh yes, I see what you mean now Wink

Snort!

It just feels that way sometimes! Smile

Actually it is very beautiful where I live!
Jay44 14 1.4k Wales
31 Jan 2006 12:17AM

Quote:Sorry to have been so harsh - didn't really mean it that way it's just that this has been known to most wedding pros (I was going by your profile) for some while as well as being debated in a thread on this forum just a few days ago.

I haven't been a member long and must admit have read a lot of the forums but didn't seen anything about Kodak weddings.

And although I am a pro... I don't have much to do with other wedding photographers... I lead a pretty insular life... *get out the violins*... which is why I am finding this forum a godsend!

So far I have had no enquiries for *gay weddings* despite advertising the service from the very first day it became legal.

The wedding photography market is saturated where I live. I'm in between two big cities, and every week more and more photographers with their newly found skills (owning a digital camera) are crawling out of the woodwork and cashing in on the business.

My bookings were down last year... and I have had no new bookings for 2 months...

Throwing in the towel is a very close option!

*Guess you'd better make than an orchestra of violins*

Jay
Neil_Wardle 17 101
31 Jan 2006 12:19AM

Quote:Done many civil partnerships yet, Neil

Hi CB

We've done 3 (2 in December) and one this month with another one next month and then 2 in March and I understand we have more booked through the year.

They have been very nice events but as with all civil ceremonies, the 'feel' of the ceremony is so dependent upon the officiant.

Where we live in the county of Conwy, the Registrars/Supintendents are superb and really know how to make an occasion special (whether it be a wedding or a partnership ceremony). Cheshire, the areas around the Wirral are much the same - excellent people who understand the importance of what they are doing yet unfortunately, in a county not so far far away, they seem to be in a 60's time warp and are miserable to say the least.

With regard to Barrie, he does look in at the forums nearly everyday and in fact had an e-mail from Pete just a couple of weeks ago asking why he no longer gets involved.

Quote:The wedding photography market is saturated where I live. I'm in between two big cities, and every week more and more photographers with their newly found skills (owning a digital camera) are crawling out of the woodwork and cashing in on the business.

My bookings were down last year... and I have had no new bookings for 2 months...

Throwing in the towel is a very close option

Jacqueline - don't do that. I don't think anyone could live in a more saturated area (photographer wise) than we do (borders of Cheshire/Merseyside and Shropshire) but I do agree with what you say about every Tom, **** and Harry (and Tracy) with a digital camera can suddenly become a professional (or think they can).

Success does not come quickly, or easily to most people. Persevere. Do not try and follow the crowd but try and create your own style. You won't appeal to everyone but you will get yourself noticed and that is half the battle.

Just one quick suggestion. You have some nice work on your website but don't forget, your website is your shop window. Show the goods in the window! (i.e. get some more of your wedding photographs up there)

As I say - stick at it.

Neil
Jay44 14 1.4k Wales
31 Jan 2006 12:28AM
Thank you Neil... I'm trying! Smile
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2006 12:43AM
Marketing, marketing, marketing!

I did a marketing course last year and although my work is still the same as ever my bookings are going through the roof. I am not cheap...one of the best bits of advice I got was from Bambi Cantrell - "Don't charge what YOU could afford to pay - charge what you are worth"

I have albums in local bridal shops and with wedding co-ordinators and hotels. My local friendly videographer (yes, there are some Wink)has my gift vouchers for portrait sittings which he gives as a thankyou when people book him. I submit my weddings to the bridal magazines and know all the editors names now!

Keep going if it's a job you love. Consider joining the SWPP I have had a wealth of information from them.

Good luck,

Debbie.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.