GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Lab-Box daylight-loading film tank

keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2017 8:12AM
Not really sure what to make of this "multi-format daylight-loading film tank". It looks nice, but the prices are steep compared to the cheap old stuff I already have, and does it really work ? I might wait and see, being an early adopter is not always a good idea. It's intriguing though, and obviously very popular with the punters.

Lab-Box new film processing kit

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
28 Mar 2017 9:43AM
Hmm, the only advantage that I can see over a bog-standard dev tank and a changing bag is not having trouble finding bits in the bag when your hands get hot and sweaty so they stick to the bag - which is easily solved by sticking a cardboard box, or similar, in the bag to keep the top raised, at a fraction of the cost.

Nikonuser1 Plus
7 159 16 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2017 10:11AM
Would stick to my Paterson tanksGrinGrin

Cliff
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
28 Mar 2017 10:32AM
When I was away from the darkroom, I'd go into a bathroom or other space without external windows or even a wardrobe and do the loading at night with all the lights off. I never could get on with a changing bag!
arhb Plus
12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2017 11:01AM
Having just successfully loaded and developed my first 120 film this morning, using a standard paterson dev tank, I think I'll wait a while before getting this.
I found that sitting in a completely dark room, loading the free dangling film onto the spiral so much easier than using a changing bag.
I'll get one eventually.
altitude50 15 16.1k United Kingdom
28 Mar 2017 1:49PM
Ah, the good old days. I have memories of waiting until dark, then trying to load a damp Paterson spiral under the bedclothes.
The tank in the advert appears to be very pricy. At that price I would expect it to have a facility to load bulk 35mm film into cassettes and cut the leader to shape in daylight as well! Grin
orangejuice 13 45 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2017 2:45PM
Agfa had a similar product in the sixties
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2017 4:15PM
I do wonder if it's the trendy kids going for this - somebody certainly is, 4,777 of them and "654,681
pledged of 70,000 goal". But not me or you.Wink
Just Jas 17 26.3k 1 England
29 Apr 2017 7:06PM

Quote:Agfa had a similar product in the sixties

Agfa Rondinax 60 Daylight Developing Box.

I used one extensively in the '60s. Four inches of the film backing paper was left outside the box. This was used to draw and curl the film into a small compartment in the developing box at the appropriate moment. Care had to be taken not to draw the film outside the box with the backing paper. This happened to me on two consecutive occasions and I lost 24 frames of precious holiday pictures.

It used a small amount of developer and fixer thus dev, rinse, fix and wash required continuous agitation. Bit of a bind if the telephone or doorbell rang - or the call of nature!

It was, in all, a fiddely bit of a procedure and in the end I went over to using a tank process.

I still have the Rondinax, it is up in the loft somewhere together with the rest of my film stuff.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.