Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Ladies & gentlemen, time to give it your best shot!

Snapper 15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
18 Mar 2007 12:59PM
Apologies if this has been raised before, but the Sunday Times is running a landscape competition with 20k in prizes (and the k doesn't stand for klicks!). Read all about it here.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Billlee 14 5.5k England
18 Mar 2007 1:20PM
OK everyone, this is the one where you PAY good money to enter, they have ( OK, Non exclusive) rights to publish (and make money ) from your images, in any way they chose (although they say in connection with the competition ). If there is a person or people, or a building or property for which model or property release is required and not obtained and there is ensuing litigation then YOU carry ALL the responsibility........and consequent fine. It is probably a good comp if you have the very best photo around, but do read the TERMS and CONDITIONS very carefully before you enter.................. and good luck, I'll be giving this one a miss!! Bill.
BOB S 18 2.6k
18 Mar 2007 1:59PM
I have to say that PAYING to enter a competition where the organisation running the competition have the right to MAKE MONEY from your entry without giving anything back is virtual highway robbery and should be avoided.

Never sign away your copyright to any image without something in return - every image has a value to somebody !!

BOB
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 2:02PM

Quote:I have to say that PAYING to enter a competition where the organisation running the competition have the right to MAKE MONEY from your entry without giving anything back is virtual highway robbery and should be avoided.

Do you expect them to organise and run the competition for nothing?.
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
18 Mar 2007 2:21PM
I understood that any pics used would be in connection with the competition and in a book to be compiled by the AA.

Not a lot different to the epz book really,except that this had no competitive element and no cash prizes!
Billlee 14 5.5k England
18 Mar 2007 2:25PM

Quote:Never sign away your copyright to any image without something in return - every image has a value to somebody !!

..........................You keep your copyright on this on Bob, as I said it was NON EXCLUSIVE, all I say is READ the T's and C's. If you are happy with them then OK, GO AHEAD. Bill.
rossd 17 1.1k England
19 Mar 2007 9:22PM

Quote:Do you expect them to organise and run the competition for nothing?.

If they're making money from the winners then yes. All the photo mags have competitions - they don't charge.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 Mar 2007 9:24PM
You may get your magazines for free but most people are forced to pay for them.
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2007 9:43PM

Quote:If they're making money from the winners then yes. All the photo mags have competitions - they don't charge.

I take it you wont be entering then.

Smile
BOB S 18 2.6k
19 Mar 2007 10:38PM

Quote:Do you expect them to organise and run the competition for nothing?.

Yes, I would expect The Sunday Times, The AA and Light and Land as sponsors to pay.

BOB
19 Mar 2007 10:39PM
They are and so are the competitors. There are many forms of competition other than photographic ones and paying an entry fee for them is the norm.
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2007 10:43PM
In agreement .. I have no issue with paying the fee. If you want to enter .. you pay .. if you don't .. then don't enter!

Errrr ... I want a Canon 1DS MK3 .. oh no .. I have to PAY for it ... think I'll leave it ...

Same thing??

Pretty much.

Dan
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
19 Mar 2007 10:48PM
It's difficult. Look at the magazines that do offer really good prizes and they don't charge you for entering the competition. So when someone as major as the AA and The Times suddenly say "Okay, you have to pay" I guess it does jar with people - especially as has been said - if they plan to use your photographs (even if you keep the copyright).
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2007 10:53PM
Look at the promotion you get out of it if you win ??

Plus the charge stops every tom **** and harry entering silly pics .. which really isnt the point of the competition.

The charge makes you think seriously about what you are going to enter.

Dan
19 Mar 2007 10:57PM

Quote:Plus the charge stops every tom **** and harry entering silly pics

Oh no it won't. The competition is getting flagged up left right and centre and is being given national news space...the entry will be massive.
Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.