Ladies & gentlemen, time to give it your best shot!

culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2007 10:57PM
Ah well .. at least we don't have to do the judging Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2007 11:16PM

Quote:It's difficult. Look at the magazines that do offer really good prizes and they don't charge you for entering the competition.

But you pay for the magazine.
IanA 16 3.0k 12 England
19 Mar 2007 11:32PM

Quote:...the entry will be massive

The Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year has virtually the same terms and conditions and the same entry fee. Last year the entries topped 18,000! (And I've paid my 20 again this year, even though I know its a waste! lol!!)

But the wildlife photographers have Light & Land to thank for the increase in the SWPY increase in prize money, which they had to raise to match it!! Smile)

Ian
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
20 Mar 2007 8:49AM

Quote:But you pay for the magazine.

You don't have to. It could be a friends and often they have their competitions online as well.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Mar 2007 8:51AM
Them's the rules, the terms and the conditions.

Get over it.
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
20 Mar 2007 8:54AM
Look at Digital Camera Magazine's Photographer of the Year Competition - 15,000 first prize and it's free to enter. See Here , but most importantly it states: "It's absolutely free to enter the competition" and you keep the copyright as well.

Quote:Them's the rules, the terms and the conditions.

I'm not disagreeing with you Keith, but Andy seems to be under the impression that there is always a charge for entering competitions in magazines and there isn't. You can enter them online.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Mar 2007 9:03AM
Which competition winner do you think will get the most publicity?
Wink

and nobody takes your copyright but most..and that includes your link...reserve the world wide publication licence for all short-listed and winning images.
Slaterm 14 496 1 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2007 9:18AM
no such thing as a free lunch!

Times charges to cover admin - it is a newspaper not a photo mag. The comp isn't a great marketing ploy for them - just something they are associated with and which will fill copy.

photo mags use comps to entice togs to buy the mag. Not difficult to see why theirs are free to enter. Not only will people buy one mag, but they will buy at least one more to find out if they have won. Entry fee (voluntary - but likely) is therefore minimum 7. I would imagine that is thinking behind it
kaybee 16 7.3k 26 Scotland
20 Mar 2007 10:16AM
Apart from camera clubs internal competitions virtualy all have some form of entry fee. This is no different. As has been said the winners will get their 15 minutes of fame as well and [b]that[/] is what the vast majority of entrants are looking for - not wealth and riches.
BOB S 18 2.6k
22 Mar 2007 7:26PM

Quote:Look at the promotion you get out of it if you win ??

Yes and look at the picture library they get for free from the losers i.e. the majority who do not win.

BOB
Nickscape 14 708 9 England
22 Mar 2007 10:21PM
Just thought i'd point out the Sunday Times isnt running the competition, they are simply publiseing it and are backing it along with the AA - the competition is this one - Take a View Run for Light and land and is the brainchild of Charlie Waite.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.