ADVERTISEMENT
Affinity 2 Launch Deal - Save 40% Today

Landscapes outside the golden hours

Therapy 6 3 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2016 9:56PM
Hi all I enjoy taking outdoor and landscape photographs, but, due to personal reasons am vary rarely able to be out and about during the "golden hours". I also prefer to combine my photography with longish walks. I use a Pentax KS2 as its pretty light and small for a DSLR and my photography is very much done on the go. I don't like to carry a tripod as it is extra weight. Can anyone suggest what might be the minimum equipment I should carry in order to, hopefully get some half decent shots. Bear in mind I want to keep my back pack as light as possible.
Thanks
Jeff
Chris_L 8 5.5k United Kingdom
14 Oct 2016 10:30PM
You can definitely get good landscape shots at all times of day and times of year. Personally I like to avoid strong sunlight / harsh shadows unless they add drama. Shooting handheld is a challenge because a landscape with lots of depth often requires an aperture that gives a greater depth of field leading to longer shutter speeds and tripods.

Something like this is very light and will help you to get steadier shots so long as you can find a decent tree, fence, rock etc.
Paul Morgan 21 19.7k 6 England
14 Oct 2016 11:07PM
Is there not some famous photograph taken at night in a desert somewhere, I can`t find it now.

It all depends on what you want.
chris.maddock 21 3.7k United Kingdom
15 Oct 2016 7:36AM

Quote:Is there not some famous photograph taken at night in a desert somewhere, I can`t find it now.

This one perchance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonrise,_Hernandez,_New_Mexico

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.