Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Laptop-battery not charging

Carrera_c 11 273 3 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2011 4:01PM
NickParry, where do you get your info from??? That bit about the middle wire having nothing to do with power is the maddest thing I've ever heard (I used to work for Dell by the way). Also the power adaptor is covered by your full warrenty, so if it is broken just call them and say it's stopped working. Don't mention that it looks broken anywhere or they may try to get you with accidental damage.
User_Removed 11 1.4k England
3 Feb 2011 4:17PM

Quote:NickParry
lol.

Take it to an independent technician, they should be able to test the power adapter, battery and the laptop there an then within 5 minutes.

All current laptop battery technologies are very sensitive to heat. - heating them up considerably reduces the life time of the battery. Far more than leaving them always charging.
polis_928tadw59 10 7.0k United Kingdom
5 Feb 2011 5:00PM
The battery has charged up this morning, although I have done nothing, or altered any setting. It is now showing 100% charged. Best to use it on battery only and run it down, then re-charge again?

As regards monthly payment for maintenance, etc I think it may be best to cancel. Have paid 175-00 so far, and used PC World once to clear a virus. On Thursday sent an email to them re this battery problem. 24 hrs later still no reply from them, so I sent another email; and a further 24 hrs I still have not had an acknowledgement.

Any observations re maintenance, better to use an independent, ie for speedy attention/repair.
10 Feb 2011 12:32PM
The battery is once again charging, but I do not know the ins and outs as to why it is again acting normally.
3 Mar 2011 11:20AM
Once again battery " plugged in, not charging." Independent IT repairer has been on the internet, and thinks that it is a design fault by Dell. People have bought new battery which has solved the problem; yet for others it did not solve the problem. Likewise buying a new adaptor/power socket, it solved the problem for some, and not others. Others have had work done inside the laptop, motherboard or something, and again it solved the problem for some and not others. He says it is not just peculiar to Dell, as it has cropped up with other makes. A group of Dell users in the USA are combining for a lawsuit against Dell re the matter. My repairer thinks, re Dell, that it may be something in-built, to stop the battery 'cooking' itself when the laptop is constantly used on the mains.
22 Mar 2011 2:15PM
Battery defunct, so I am going for a new one. The next step is there are 2-3 different batteries which will fit the Inspiron 1545 laptop. Some have 4 cells; then 6 cells; then 9 cells. Different voltages, also.
The battery fitted when bought, is a Dell Type GW 240;rating 14.8 volts; capacity 28Wh. Do I go for an identical replacement, such as this, or would a battery with more cells/higher voltage/greater capacity, make any difference ?
It looks like the mistake I have made is not running on battery frequently, thereby letting it run down, and then recharge.
Thanks, and looking forward to suggestions as to replacement.
13 Apr 2011 11:36AM
Looks like the problem all along has been the adaptor/charger, which was new with the laptop. Bought a new battery last week. It had 48% charge in it. I put it into the laptop- again "plugged in, not charging". New battery gradually discharged to 8%. I have bought a new adaptor, (90W, instead of the 65W supplied when new). Started using this am, and the battery is now showing 34%, and plugged in, charging. Bought over the internet for a fraction of the price quoted by Dell and PC World.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.