Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Laptop calibration

Debbiee 14 136 6 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2011 12:53PM
Hi does anyone know how to calibrate a laptop screen, I do all of my editing on my laptop, but when I view them on the partners pc or the internet they are always miles differen't, for example I have just posted an image up today which i did from my laptop and first of all it had a really yellow hue to it (same as one I posted a couple of days ago), so I deleted it altered my colour balance and uploaded again but now I think it looks to blue, but on my laptop they always look ok. Any help would be appreciated Smile
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2011 12:54PM
Yes all you do is buy a calibration device like a spyder for example. Last time I bought one they were about 60. This link will take you to the Warehouse express page for colour manahgement devices. I use a spyder myself and it works well but other brands can be bought.
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2011 12:57PM
It's not a calibration problem.

Quote:when I view them on the partners pc or the internet they are always miles differen't

If they look different on the internet it's the old problem that catches loads of people out. You're probably editing and viewing in Photoshop using AdobeRGB colourspace. Those files when saved as JPEGs are being displayed incorrectly by web browers which think they have a different colourspace (sRGB).

You could tag them as AdobeRGB but only some browsers would display them properly.

You'd be better off converting them to sRGB before sending them to the web. (Photoshop's Save For Web will do this and is one of the reasons Photoshop has that feature).
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
8 Jun 2011 1:01PM

Quote:when I view them on the partners pc

How about when you edit them on your partner's PC?
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2011 1:03PM
Could be a colour space issue, it happens often enough, but it can also be a calibration issue so I answered the how to calibrate question, but yes it is wise to check you have saved to sRGB before uploading to the web. So a few moments checking what colour space is in use would be of value. I have seen so many bad displays I feel happier calibrating these days.
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2011 1:04PM
Also if when you're on your laptop you see a difference between the internet version of your photo and the original no amount of calibration is going to change that.
8 Jun 2011 1:15PM
Thanks I don't have any editing software on the PC but on my laptop they look fine on adobe as well as on the internet so i think its more of a calibration problem, but after I uploaded the latest photo and then going on the PC to view ephotozine, I noticed the colours where really off again so I saved the image from my laptop on a memory stick and viewed it using windows picture viewer on PC and could see just using that, that the colours where way off.
8 Jun 2011 1:24PM
Is there anyway to try to calibrate it without having to buy anything?

Also I haven't been saving for web (which could have been some of the problem) so will do that with future images thanks
8 Jun 2011 1:30PM
Do you use Adobe RGB or sRGB?
8 Jun 2011 1:35PM
I have been using RGB
8 Jun 2011 1:38PM
Sorry to persist but do you convert to sRGB before uploading to the web, e.g. by using the 'Save for Web' option in Photoshop?
8 Jun 2011 1:43PM
No in previous uploads I haven't I just saved as jpeg and uploaded but on my laptop images using windows picture viewer look totally different in colour to images viewed on PC using windows picture viewer
8 Jun 2011 1:47PM
Yes, but there is more than one way of saving as a JPEG. I suggest you give the Save for Web option a try and see if that makes any difference to your web uploads, before splashing out on a calibrator.
8 Jun 2011 2:06PM
Thanks will give it a go with next upload, but I really think its more of a calibration issue as I never had the problem before. I used to use CS3 on partners PC, if you look in my portfolio images including and before one called laugh out loud where done using PC, but I got a laptop for Christmas with CS5 already installed on it so started using that instead, he's since formatted his computer so its not on there at the moment, and I don't have a disk with CS5 on as it was already on laptop so can't transfer it across. All images posted after laugh out loud until now are done on the laptop and most have colour issues.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2011 2:07PM
My laptop offers very few things for the Spyder software to change so I am not convinced it has done much for my system.
Can you plug your PC screen into your laptop?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.