Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Laptop calibration

Debbiee 14 136 6 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2011 2:14PM
I don't know, but I don't think so I thought you needed a docking station to be able to do that?
Gaucho 19 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2011 2:23PM
I'm with CB on this. Using RGB or sRGB makes a big difference. Try it.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2011 2:58PM
Nope - you just need to take the lead that goes from the screen to the PC box and plug it into your laptop instead. Similarly you can plug an external keyboard or a mouse into the laptop as well if you find those more convenient to use.
The docking station is there only as a convenience - if you want to take you laptop onyour travels you just need to remove it from the docking station and not unplug screen+keyboard+mouse+whatever and replug them in when you return etc.

You will, however need the disc with the driver for the screen so you can install it onto your laptop.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2011 4:49PM
I think you are still confusing things and need to just do the basics to sort out the situation. so there are two matters to consider, the image colour space, and the specific computer calibration.

On colour space Photoshop is a fairly clever program and so will correctly display a variety of colour spaces and in some instances will also auto save to a colour space, it all depends how you set it up. Many programs are not so clever. So for sharing an image among many applications and on the web etc it is wise to use sRGB as the colour space. And yes save for the web should auto convert to sRGB but you can also do it through the edit tab.

Next is calibration, and even if the display has few controls colour calibration works because it provides an adjustment curve between what the software thinks the RGB value is and the correct value to drive the specific monitor. It is independent of the user controls and I have found laptop displays change more than desk displays when calibrated. And yes I have seen some pretty bad displays on lap tops. You do not need a docking station, just a USB port. But beware laptops often have differing display performance depending on whether they are plugged in or on battery, so it is wise to calibrate it in the photo editing configuration.

You often get software with the driver card that allows you to adjust the display performance, often by colour but the best way is to use a device that measures the image projected by the display. Otherwise how do you know what the display is projecting.??
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
9 Jun 2011 9:30AM

Quote:You will, however need the disc with the driver for the screen so you can install it onto your laptop.

(Only if you're running Windows 98). Modern Windows never needs a driver disc to use a monitor.

Try the tests at the top of this webpage Try them on both laptop and PC. You'll get an idea of which is in need of the most correction. It could be your laptop is fine but the PC monitor has had it.
Debbiee 14 136 6 United Kingdom
9 Jun 2011 12:46PM
Thanks everyone, I saved my last upload as sRGB as suggested and it does seemed to have helped a lot so thank you, I also looked at the website chris mentioned and the screen did seem off by a lot but I found a little calibration tool in windows itself and used that to try and correct it and although its not perfect it does also seem to have helped a little. So thanks again Smile
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
9 Jun 2011 2:39PM

Quote:(Only if you're running Windows 98). Modern Windows never needs a driver disc to use a monitor.

I needed one to instal my monitor. I'm using XP.
9 Jun 2011 2:47PM
I think you're mixing up graphics drivers with monitor drivers. Either that or you put the disc in that came with the monitor even though you need not have.

See: http://forevergeeks.com/do-you-need-to-install-drivers-for-your-new-monitor
9 Jun 2011 3:37PM
Why would I put a disc in for no reason?
I put the disk in because at some point during the installation sequence, for whatever reason, I got told to.
And please don't turn this thread into another of your crusades.
15 Jun 2011 11:42AM

Quote:Why would I put a disc in for no reason?

First of all Brendan I didn't say you didn't have a reason. I'm simply pointing out that you needn't have.

Secondly You seem to think that any time I disagree with you on a thread it's because I want to pick a fight with you. Look at who started arguing with who ^

I'm simply disagreeing with what someone else said: "You will, however need the disc with the driver for the screen so you can install it onto your laptop"

Not because of a 'crusade' but because the information isn't necessarily true. Stop being so paranoid.
15 Jun 2011 2:20PM

Quote:First of all Brendan I didn't say you didn't have a reason. I'm simply pointing out that you needn't have.

And I repeat, "I put the disk in because I was told to." Presumably, therefore, I needed to.
I'll assume that there was a reason for this to have occurred, so I did as I was asked.
As for 'paranoia', I'm not sure that I'm the one suffering from it.
15 Jun 2011 2:34PM

Quote:"I put the disk in because I was told to." Presumably, therefore, I needed to.

Well for future reference you now know that you didn't need to.

So to the OP, don't worry if you want to connect your laptop to your monitor and the monitor didn't come with a disc. Just go ahead. You don't need one.
15 Jun 2011 2:41PM

Quote:Well for future reference you now know that you didn't need to.

I'll bear that in mind.
Next time I'm given an installation disk with something, I'll use it as a beermat.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
15 Jun 2011 2:42PM
Lol! Grin
15 Jun 2011 2:48PM

Quote:Next time I'm given an installation disk with something, I'll use it as a beermat.

I don't care what you do, I just care that people are told they need a disc to do something when infact they don't.

I chuck most manufactures' discs straight in the bin. Windows often has its own driver (which doesn't come with a load of HP bloatware) and the driver on the disk is out of date anyway.

Go help this guy Jester Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.