Laptop speakers not working

mr2cameras 5 36 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2015 12:12PM
Hi all
The built-in speakers in my Asus X58L laptop have stopped working, apparently for no reason at all. However, my headphones still work perfectly. Is this a hardware failure or just a buggy device driver?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
12 Oct 2015 12:55PM
Is this a hardware failure or just a buggy device driver?

I don't understand how anyone not seeing or working on the computer would know

Have you re installed the drivers
robthecamman 7 1.7k United Kingdom
12 Oct 2015 12:58PM
check sound settings
User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
12 Oct 2015 1:16PM

Quote:check sound settings

+1 have they been altered in the control panel
12 Oct 2015 3:57PM
All the settings are as normal; I just wondered if the fact the headphones are still working made a difference to the cause of the problem. How do you reinstall the drivers?
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
12 Oct 2015 4:25PM
Hope this doesn't come across wrong but have you left the headphones plugged in?... I am always doing things like that...

Phil
EddieAC 14 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2015 4:44PM
The sound on my laptop stopped working for a while and the device manager indicated the sound was working. It turned out there was a physical volume control on the side of my laptop that I didn't know about that I'd accidentally rotated to silent.
12 Oct 2015 7:30PM
Might be worth checking your Hot Keys-Function keys, they may have been accidentally altered.
Fn+F10- Volume on/mute.
Fn+F11- Volume down.
Fn+F12- Volume up.

David
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
13 Oct 2015 12:23AM

Quote:The sound on my laptop stopped working for a while and the device manager indicated the sound was working. It turned out there was a physical volume control on the side of my laptop that I didn't know about that I'd accidentally rotated to silent.

But that wouldn't account for the sound being OK with the earphones plugged in. Same with the drivers.
If the 'phones are unplugged, is there a possibility that some of the plug has broken off & is still in the socket? Otherwise it sounds as if the speakers are done for.
13 Oct 2015 12:19PM
My speakers have now started working again, for apparently no reason. Thanks for all the replys.
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
13 Oct 2015 5:42PM
sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.