Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

Laptop stopped seeing PDF files?

ARI 17 547 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2020 9:02PM
Laptop operating Windows 10. Couple months ago, there was some big updates that were downloaded. Shortly after, the system will not see any PDF files on the laptop or from external hard drive.
Grateful for advise
Thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

5 Jun 2020 11:01AM
I am assuming that you mean that Windows shows no image in File Explorer. If this is so I think if you open File Explorer and click on the 'View' tab along the top, at the end of the top menu there are choices for you to tick to program the Viewer to show. They include 'File Extensions' and 'Hidden Items' but tick all three boxes to make sure they show all.
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2020 11:18AM
Hi Hari,

There are at least two updates somewhat affecting PDF files recently, but neither has actually change the pdf files themselves.
1. is that a large windows update 'stole' the file association that associated ".pdf" files with Adobe reader. It reassociated them with Microsoft Edge (the main Microsoft browser) - so for this one you need to re-associate the ".pdf " files with Adobe reader (or what ever reader you use)
2. a bit more obscure - Chrome now downloads some pdf files from MS apps with an extra ' symbol before and after the file name so "MyFile.pdf" becomes "'MyFile.pdf'" with the extra single quote around the file name.
ARI 17 547 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2020 1:37PM
Thank you gents. I reloaded Acrobat Reader overnight and PDF files are opened now. Windows 10 updates appear to have upset something.
Thanks all.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.