90% Off inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate Software Bundle

Laptop to Monitor/LED TV

DannoM 12 58 England
11 Sep 2014 9:09PM
I have connected my laptop to a 24 inch monitor and my LED TV via a HDMI cable.

The quality of the output on both is considerably worse than when just using the laptop screen. I changed the resolution to suit both the monitor and the tv but it made no difference, is this normal or am i doing something wrong?

I haven't calibrated as its not the colour that is the problem its like going back 10 years to VGA. Frayed edges around icons that sort of thing.
redsnappa 18 2.7k United Kingdom
11 Sep 2014 9:48PM
probably a rubbish graphics system in the laptop.
11 Sep 2014 11:01PM
Start checking with a cable. One of the most common culprits.
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
12 Sep 2014 12:49AM
Yeah try another cable, also try extending desktop - rather than duplicating desktop - as it's easier to use different resolutions for each display
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
12 Sep 2014 7:28AM
Bear in mind that the pixel density on large TVs is considerably smaller (that is, the pixels are much larger) than on a laptop, or decent monitor, so the quality of what you see will be inherently worse.
DannoM 12 58 England
12 Sep 2014 8:22AM
Thanks people
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
12 Sep 2014 9:48AM
Just one thing before you go, (paraphrasing Columbo, Wink) you've managed to connect your laptop to two external displays - did you mean at the same time? Unless it's a rare kind of laptop with two hdmi outputs, to do that you could be using a cheap splitter cable, they definitely cause that thing where the icons get outlined in multi-coloured noise. Some cheap extenders and switch boxes cause that too.
DannoM 12 58 England
12 Sep 2014 2:05PM
It seems when connected if you could view the laptop and the monitor at the same time the output on the monitor was awful. I needed to set the monitor as the main screen then the resolution looked miles better. Solved with some playing around with settings

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.