ZEISS Lens Discounts - Save Up To 220!

Laptop won't take MS updates

KingBee Plus
13 532 2 Scotland
30 May 2016 10:00AM
Since the end of March, my laptop - which has nothing sensitive on it: it's used only as a back-up - has refused to download Win 7/64 updates from MS. When I click on "Check for updates", nothing happens - as in, it'll start to check for updates, but doesn't progress from that screen. I've tried a system restore, to no avail.

Before I ship it off to my local PC repair man, does anyone have any bright ideas as to how I might rectify the problem myself?

Thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.5k 35 Norway
30 May 2016 10:11AM
Info here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle

MS stopped mainstream support for 7 last year.
KingBee Plus
13 532 2 Scotland
30 May 2016 10:51AM
Thanks for that. Funny thing is, I can see that the updates are available (eg, for MS Security Essentials) - it's just that I can't get my hands on them: they simply will not download. I can't my head round that.
ttiger8 4 159 United Kingdom
30 May 2016 11:05AM
KingBee Plus
13 532 2 Scotland
30 May 2016 11:06AM
Sorry - other thing I meant say was, I have exactly the same Win 7 platform on my desktop, and I'm still getting MS updates for that - so why not for the laptop?
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
30 May 2016 11:45AM
I've been getting that on one W7 PC for several weeks whilst a second was fine, however the second one has started missing the MSE updates occasionally. I just download and install them manually on both PCs, unless one has succeeded in updating.
User_Removed 5 328 United Kingdom
30 May 2016 11:48AM
try the windows unofficial offline update application.

It downloads all windows updates for your chosen OS and installs what's required.

Make sure you read documentation.

Large downloads to start with as literally every update is acquired from MS servers, but does circumvent these problems, and works very well... we've used it a few times over the years.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/
30 May 2016 11:52AM
Windows update on your laptop probably has a damaged file whereas on your desktop it is running as it should.
Be aware that when you run the Windows System update readiness tool it can take some time, just leave it running
until it completes it's task.
David
bainsybike 9 333 United Kingdom
30 May 2016 11:56AM
Don't know whether this will work, but you could try looking at your Windows Update settings. Click "Change Settings" on the Windows update screen and it gives you a drop-down list of options. My (desktop) is set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" and it still works. Good luck!
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
30 May 2016 8:37PM

Quote:Since the end of March, my laptop - which has nothing sensitive on it: it's used only as a back-up - has refused to download Win 7/64 updates from MS. When I click on "Check for updates", nothing happens - as in, it'll start to check for updates, but doesn't progress from that screen. I've tried a system restore, to no avail.

Before I ship it off to my local PC repair man, does anyone have any bright ideas as to how I might rectify the problem myself?

Thanks.

Upgrade it to 10 and be done with it.

I had an old laptop with similar problems, it would not even download the updates allowing it to get windows 10.

So I downloaded 10 and put it on myself (using the media creation tool)
thewilliam 10 6.1k
31 May 2016 12:09PM
I resisted the "invitations" to upgrade from W7 to W10 but my web computer did it anyway.

I never liked W7 anyway and W10 seems to be faster. Maybe that's the route.
KingBee Plus
13 532 2 Scotland
31 May 2016 2:18PM

Quote:Upgrade it to 10 and be done with it.

Aye, well, easy to say, but having done just that, Win 10 continues to be a pain in the ass. I tried Win 10 on my desktop previously - Paul may well remember this - and it failed me miserably, mainly by screwing up my browsing experience to the extent I couldn't connect to the Internet for more than about 30 seconds before the thing crashed. So, back to Windows 7/64 I went, very happy, thank you, and I'm now dreading the day when support for Win 7 ends on 14 January, 2020.

Anyway, back to the laptop. Installation files downloaded and installed fine, set up was a breeze (I went down the 'Custom' route so as not to allow Microsoft to be privy to everything I do), and that, I thought, was that. But what happens when I try an Internet search - nothing: that's what. Mozilla, Chrome, Edge, whatever, just refuses to play ball, and the connection eventually times out.

So, before I very quickly go back to Win 7, can someone please tell me what they think the problem might be - and more important, is it fixable?

Believe me, I really would like to give Win 10 a try, and I thought my desktop experience would not - could not - be replicated on the laptop. But I was wrong.

If anyone can help me solve this, I'd be very grateful. I've got 30 days before I have to throw in the towel and go back to 7.
31 May 2016 4:28PM
It could well be a wifi driver issue, the link below may help, please read 1 and 2 which gives instructions on how to update the
network adapter driver.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/fix-network-connection-issues

David
KingBee Plus
13 532 2 Scotland
31 May 2016 4:49PM
Thanks David, I'll give that a go and report back in due course.

Cheers.
Bob
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
31 May 2016 9:28PM

Quote:
Quote:Upgrade it to 10 and be done with it.

Aye, well, easy to say, but having done just that, Win 10 continues to be a pain in the ass. I tried Win 10 on my desktop previously - Paul may well remember this - and it failed me miserably, mainly by screwing up my browsing experience to the extent I couldn't connect to the Internet for more than about 30 seconds before the thing crashed. So, back to Windows 7/64 I went, very happy, thank you, and I'm now dreading the day when support for Win 7 ends on 14 January, 2020.

Anyway, back to the laptop. Installation files downloaded and installed fine, set up was a breeze (I went down the 'Custom' route so as not to allow Microsoft to be privy to everything I do), and that, I thought, was that. But what happens when I try an Internet search - nothing: that's what. Mozilla, Chrome, Edge, whatever, just refuses to play ball, and the connection eventually times out.

So, before I very quickly go back to Win 7, can someone please tell me what they think the problem might be - and more important, is it fixable?

Believe me, I really would like to give Win 10 a try, and I thought my desktop experience would not - could not - be replicated on the laptop. But I was wrong.

If anyone can help me solve this, I'd be very grateful. I've got 30 days before I have to throw in the towel and go back to 7.

Get to your laptop manufacturers download page and get all the latest drivers and store them somewhere safe before upgrading, it will be driver issues and nothing to do with w10.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.