ZEISS Lens Discounts - Save Up To 220!

Laptop won't take MS updates

strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
31 May 2016 11:02PM
It might also be worth removing your virus protection software as well before the update. I know Kaspersky had a few problems when the update was run. removing it then performing a clean install on the new OS might be a solution, just remember to download the latest Win10 version first..

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
1 Jun 2016 12:31AM
Yeh very true, virus software's are best removed, I had similar issues with avast, you often find that the version used on W7 or 8 is different and just not compatible with W10.
KingBee Plus
13 532 2 Scotland
1 Jun 2016 9:18AM
An update - and guess what? I'm typing this on my laptop! Tried the route suggested by David (chalkhillblue) and option 2 worked, after selecting the right network adapter (I have two). Internet now up and running perfectly, and now I can start exploring Windows 10 to see what it can do.

Many thanks to all who contributed. I have noted all suggestions for future reference!
KingBee Plus
13 532 2 Scotland
1 Jun 2016 10:01AM
A further update. It appears I was celebrating prematurely. What's happening now is, I can connect to the Internet just fine, and all is well for a minute or two. Then, if I try to connect to another site, the connection eventually fails - it just times out. This is exactly the same problem I had with my desktop, which resulted in me going back to Windows 7, because I need to have a perfectly functioning PC for a variety of reasons.

However, when it comes to the laptop, it's 'disposable'; so I can experiment with it to my heart's content.

I refuse to be beaten by this difficulty with 10. There is obviously a problem with me going from 7 to 10 - and I find it curious that I'm having the same problem with the laptop as I had with the desktop. There's obviously a common link here. Does the fact that my Internet connects easily enough to begin with, then crashes after a couple of minutes, offer any further clues?

I'm not computer savvy enough to take this much further on my own. If no-one comes up with any other ideas (that I can use), I'll just take the laptop to my PC repairman, as I suggested earlier. No big deal.

Thanks again.
1 Jun 2016 11:24AM
Hello Bob
This is not a fix but it might give you some idea what is causing your problem, go back to your desktop and
>windows button,>settings,>update and security,>advanced options,>view your update history,
>successfully installed on 1 Jun 16, this will show you the contents of the update, also note down
the update ID, it will commence with KB followed with a set of numbers, a google search using this
windows update ID may show if others are having the same problem. I would also recheck the network adapter
in case the update has reverted it back to where it was previously.
KingBee Plus
13 532 2 Scotland
1 Jun 2016 11:35AM
OK, David, I'll give that a go also. Will keep you posted.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.