Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Laptops

CaptivePhotons 17 1.7k 2 England
3 Oct 2015 8:49AM
If you had about £500 to spend on a laptop, what would you get? Will run Lightroom and Photoshop CC and other everyday computing needs, streaming videos etc but not gaming. Screen is obviously important but I would ideally not want to go below 15" unless there is a very good case for it.
3 Oct 2015 9:37AM
Check on the Graphics card of whatever you decide as some will not run PS or Lightroom CC. The necessary processing power needed is available on the Adobe site.
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
3 Oct 2015 9:51AM

Quote:some will not run PS or Lightroom CC

That's not even remotely true.

Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
3 Oct 2015 11:02AM
Well, kind of...

From the Adobe site:

Quote:Windows
Intel® Core 2 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor; 2 GHz or faster processor
Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
2 GB of available hard-disk space for 32-bit installation; 2.1 GB of available hard-disk space for 64-bit installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
1024 x 768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB of VRAM (1 GB recommended)*
OpenGL 2.0–capable system
Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.**

Any laptop you buy for £500 will surpass this by a long way.
3 Oct 2015 11:30AM
What she actually said was "Check on the Graphics card of whatever you decide as some will not run PS or Lightroom CC"

That's rubbish. I can turn off my Graphics Card in Ps CC or Lr CC and the programs still run, in fact I couldn't tell any difference!

Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
3 Oct 2015 12:21PM
Yeah, I meant Adobe do have "processing requirements" on their website.
3 Oct 2015 4:49PM
Chris L - My own experience - laptop - cost over £500 - but although PS would load, trying to use it was impossible. Adobe assessment was Graphics card was not adequate. I can only pass on what I have found. I'm afraid that unlike you I have to rely on the thoughts and help from others.
3 Oct 2015 5:52PM
So when you say "Check on the Graphics card of whatever you decide as some will not run PS or Lightroom CC" you didn't mean the PS or Lightroom CC won't run.

Thanks for clearing that up, because people might start rejecting perfectly good computers with fast processors and bags of memory simply because they [b]falsely[/believe, after hearing what you said, that Lr and Ps won't even run without a certain graphics card. Smile

OP It's tricky for that kind of money because you want speed, i3 min, you want RAM min 6, preferably 12 or 16, and you want a big screen, no 13" stuff, then you want decent size HD. You will have to compromise, I'd go for this then beef it up later when funds allowed, by chucking in another stick of ram.
keithh 17 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
3 Oct 2015 5:53PM
For that money you should pick up an i5 with 8gb ram and built in Intel 5500 graphics. It's not going to rip through the software but it will run it, especially if you're not going to messing with multiple layers.
CaptivePhotons 17 1.7k 2 England
3 Oct 2015 7:04PM

Quote:OP It's tricky for that kind of money because you want speed, i3 min, you want RAM min 6, preferably 12 or 16, and you want a big screen, no 13" stuff, then you want decent size HD. You will have to compromise, I'd go for this then beef it up later when funds allowed, by chucking in another stick of ram.

I did actually look at that model and figured I might as well dig a bit deeper. Ended up with a Toshiba, i5, 8gb of RAM, NVIDIA graphics card and 15" screen that is taking some getting used to as my previous laptop was only 13"

Thanks all for the comments anyway.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.