Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Layer help

Kate11171 15 36 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2012 1:45PM
Hi
I am using CS5. Does anyone know the shortcut that will show me which layer parts of my picture are on?

Hope that makes sense. Grin

Thanks
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
8 Jun 2012 2:30PM
I'm not quite sure what you are after.

But on the layer mask (go to layers pallet) the right hand box will be Black or White (or combination). The Black bits hides the information from that layer, the white reveals it (grey is a combination a bit like altering opacity). To see the effects of the wole layer click on the eye icon (left of the layer) that should turn it off, so you can see the effect of that layer. To see what the layers like without the layer mask right click on the mask, click disable layer mask (remember to re enable it later).

HTH
Boyd 18 11.2k 11 Wales
8 Jun 2012 2:36PM
If you're struggling to see which layer a particular element of your image is on, one of the easiest ways to locate the layer is to use the Move Tool (short cut =V) and make sure the auto select layer box is ticked then just click on the part of the image you want to identify and the layer will be automatically selected.

18-capture.jpg
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Jun 2012 2:39PM
...and just another wee tip: When you create additional layers, rename each of them with a descriptive name to remind you what they are.
Kate11171 15 36 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2012 7:15PM
Hi Boyd

Thanks for that. I do actually name my layers but I thought it might just be an extra help and quicker to use both methods.

Thank you
Jestertheclown 13 8.5k 253 England
8 Jun 2012 9:18PM
Thanks from me too Boyd.

I've been using layers for years and I didn't know that!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.