Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

LCD Monitors

crash39 15 24 England
31 Aug 2010 2:55PM
Ok, here's hoping someone can help!
I have a weird problem in that the LCD monitor I have been using with no problems for the last 4 years has started to make me feel very sick & giving me really bad headaches. Can anyone suggest a reason for this? There is nothing apparently wrong or different with it, just this effect. (It is a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW)

Thanks in anticipation!
BubbaG2000 14 767 1
31 Aug 2010 3:31PM
Not so common with LCDs, but I would go to Display Properties and set the refresh rate higher.
Carrera_c 12 273 3 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2010 1:36PM
Refresh rate may be the problem. It could be something else in the room though, have you got any other artificial light source in the room that you've recently bought/changed? Could be a dodgy bulb flickering really fast and you're just not noticing it.
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2010 2:17PM

Quote:It is a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

hmm - same monitor as mine. I think Carrera C may have the answer, have you installed one of the new Green low energy bulbs recently as these can have a flicker effect which may be interacting with the screen?

(I've not seen any change to mine and it must be at least 3 years old and has had really hard use)
ellis rowell 17 2.0k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2010 8:26PM
All mains electric lighting has a 50cycle flicker. Try using an LED light (battery operated), if it still persists then it's not the mains flicker which is the problem.
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2010 10:17PM

Quote:Health experts and charities alike have said they have been inundated with complaints that the fluorescent bulbs are causing headaches and some have called for Governments to allow an opt-out scheme for people who experience health problems.

Other ailments that people have complained about include dizziness, loss of focus and feelings of discomfort in those who suffer from epilepsy. People with lupus have also reported that fluorescent bulbs can cause them a raft of symptoms including severe pain.

from here + many other similar reports, which is why I made the suggestion. Similar problems are not associated with normal incandescent bulbs, 50 hertz or otherwise
Boyd 18 11.2k 11 Wales
2 Sep 2010 10:20PM
First things first, get your eyes tested.
mlewis 17 1.5k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2010 6:53AM
It won't be a refresh rate issue. LCD screens don't flicker like CRT screens did and nearly all of them have a fixed refresh rate of 60Hz.

Another possibility is the backlight of the monitor is going bad and is flickering at a frequency that is not visible but causes discomfort.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.