Learning with Ephotozine

Art2105 12 26 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2007 10:03AM
Hi my name is Arthur I'm in my sixties I sometimes can't believe where the years have gone most probably like most other 50's and 60 year olds. I have been interested in photography probably from the 80s when I bought my first "decent" camera Pentax's ME super, Built a darkroom in the garage then finally gave up processing when dust began to show up on every other print I made. I used to think I had an eye for a good shot and composition, but since discovering this site and looking at other peoples excellent work my opinion of my abilities as somewhat taken a knock backwards and I now concider my work to be at best ordinary. The site as however made me take a closer look at my work. I need to upgrade from my excellent snapshot camera the panasonic Lumix fx9 to an Slr for more creativity.
Thanks to all who have commented and voted for my pictures. I will improve.
Kind regards Art

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin 15 6.0k Scotland
9 Aug 2007 10:08AM
Welcome to ePHOTOzine, Arthur! It's a great place to get inspiration, advice, encouragement and just to enjoy the madness. Smile

Doug
User_Removed 15 3.3k Russian Federation
9 Aug 2007 10:09AM
Hi there Arthur, good to have you here.
stevie 16 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2007 10:16AM
Hi Arthur - I was a dedicated ME Super user too for nearly 20 years until the 'digital bug' bit. Welcome to EPZ.
Steve
chase Plus
14 1.4k 295 England
9 Aug 2007 10:30AM
Welcome to epz Arthur,I hope you enjoy yourself...beware,it's addictive!
Janet
NickParry 14 1.0k 79 Wales
9 Aug 2007 10:45AM
Welcome Arthur. I am sure everyone has the same thoughts about some of the quality of images on ePhotozine. It's an excellent learning environment, and we all have to start somewhere. Nick
pennyspike 16 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2007 11:12AM
Welcome Arthur, you can be sure there are many people here who will really enjoy helping you to empty your wallet in the search for the perfect dslr.
Good LuckWink
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
9 Aug 2007 11:14AM
Welcome Arthur! You're definitely in the right place... Wink
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
9 Aug 2007 11:23AM
Welcome Arthur. This site is exactly what you need to help and I know you'll enjoy it, thanks for the introduction Smile
Firebaby 16 1.2k Faroe Islands
9 Aug 2007 11:33AM
Hello Arthur, welcome to EPZ!

Your composition and timing on your Derwent water Jetty shot really hit the mark - brilliant!!
9 Aug 2007 12:26PM
Thank you for your kind replies. You are right Janet (Chase) Just got back from Asda and logged on straight away got 9 replies thats encourging for me I hope over the next few months I can contribute to the site. Better join up first though Wink

p.s. on second thoughts better help the wife with the shopping first ;-(

Kind regards Art
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
9 Aug 2007 12:44PM

Quote:Better join up first though

You don't have to join up, registering is enough...but joining up is icing on your cake Wink
NathanS 15 88 England
9 Aug 2007 12:45PM
Welcome on board Arthur.

Quote:I used to think I had an eye for a good shot and composition, but since discovering this site and looking at other peoples excellent work my opinion of my abilities as somewhat taken a knock backwards and I now concider my work to be at best ordinary. The site as however made me take a closer look at my work.

The site had a similar impact on me too. I've always consider myself a "serious photographer" and thought I was reasonably good. I have been into photography ever since I was about 11. (approx 30 years ago.)

But the shock was when I posted images. Some of what I thought were my best shots got few votes relative to the number of view. While other shots, which I did not rate as my better shots, got did better. At first I felt very disillusioned by this.

But then I asked a friend of mine to look at my EpZ images and give me his judgment. And thankfully he gave honest constructive criticism

But now I fired up with enthusiasm to really improve my photography and will be starting a evening course this September.

I'm sharing this with you just so you realise that you are probably going through what I expect many other photographers joining EpZ go through. AND IT'S GREAT BECAUSE IT INSPRIRES US TO IMPROVE.

All the best
Nathan
Carabosse 16 41.4k 270 England
9 Aug 2007 12:46PM
Welcome to EPZ, Arthur. However long you have been 'at it' there's always something to learn...... believe me! Wink
9 Aug 2007 1:05PM
I think you are spot on there Natham in all that you have said, another thought that crossed my mind was that is there an ideal window were your photos will be seen, I mean that images are uploaded fast and furious and it seems that most of your votes or comments seem to be given within the first couple of hours of uploading and unless you have links to your photos the rest may be gained by browsers if they happen to see your portfolio. So perhaps the moral of the tale is, perhaps get involved get yourself known and play an active role within the site.

Kind regards
Art

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.