PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Legal aspects - taking photos of children...

debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2006 3:23PM

Quote:Would you prefer the pro from the local paper (who are both known and answerable for their actions) taking pictures of your children or some person in the audience that you don't know?

I would have preferred it that having been banned from taking photos of my own child that the local press were not then allowed to publish "And here are the lovely children from S********e School in their Nativity"

As I said, the school have seen me on a daily basis since 1992. As an aside, I actually have the highest level CRB clearance as a school nurse in sole care of profoundly disabled children. The head actually said I could go and photograph the play as I had objected, but I didn't feel it was fair for me to be the only parent in the school with photos of the play, so declined.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hoggle 14 72
30 Jan 2006 12:54AM
I'm afraid that I am of the opinion that a lot of the guidelines are complete B***ocks.

We (in the UK) are becoming more and more of a nanny state and like our American cousins, becoming more litiginous by the day. (We've all seen the 'have you had an accident at work Ads' - if you're stupid enough to stick a ladder against a brick wall without someone holding it, you deserve to fall!)

The governement no longer allows us the freedom to think for ourselves. YES - innappropriate shots should not be allowed - do we really need someone to tell us what is an inappropriate shot??

If a paedophile wants to take photos of kids or whatever else gets his or hers sad rocks off, then guidelines are not going to stop him/her/it.

The Governement should clear out it's own backyard before lording it over us - as the recent child molester/teacher 'scandal' has shown.

Debbie - I sympathise with you - why the hell should the Head stop parents from photographing a school play?? I'ts pathetic. We are being subjected to media hype which does not help..... it reinforces mass hysteria whilst simultaneously halting perfectly innocent people from living what would have been only a few years ago a 'normal' life.
Mixpix 16 1.1k England
30 Jan 2006 2:19AM
I got my own back on the school my daughter goes to because of these stupid rules. A while ago we had the standard letter, the photogropher will be here to take the annual photo on such and such a date. I wrote a letter forbidding him to take any shots of her as I hadn't vetted him and said that IF they forced her to sit through it I'd take legal action. They wasn't impressed and I wouldn't have really, but if they want to be stupid I can be bloody minded.
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
30 Jan 2006 2:22AM
And you achieved what? It may not be the Schools fault, they get pressure and advice put on them. I feel sorry for the Schools they get presurised from both ends. I have seen parents pressurising the school to ban photographers.
1 Feb 2006 8:44AM
One of the problems here is that many parents are losing sight of reality, and there is an automatic sub-concious link (incorrectly as it happens) between a camera and paedophiles.

Are paedophiles THAT interested in kids with clothes on? Surely they prefer pics of a slightly more seedy variety.

But aren't we being hypocritical? There are pics of kids in adverts on TV and in magazines so how come that is OK?

And what happens in a few years time when the parents who said 'no photos' realise to their annoyance they have nothing to remind them of Jimmy's or Susie's highlight. All so short-sighted.

As for the suggestion of grooming, parents should never allow kids to use PC away from main family areas, and should supervise what they are doing, make them aware never to answer personal questions and use appropriate software to block sites.

My daughter is often on MSN but has no problem and blocks anyone suspicious.
peter shilton 16 1.1k England
1 Feb 2006 10:23AM

Quote:And being photographed by a speed camera

I haven't given my permission for that. My child may be in the car.
1 Feb 2006 11:01AM
LOL...it is a world gone mad...i have old photos of my son in the bath...he didnt want a bath...he wailed and cryed to get out...you only see his head and shoulders and a pair of hands gripping the bath...if the social services saw it i would be banged up for life...:0(
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
1 Feb 2006 3:03PM
Everyone, kids included, is photographed all the time. There are CCTV cameras everywhere. There is an awful lot of hypocrisy and paranoia about!
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
5 Feb 2006 2:15PM

Quote:And being photographed by a speed camera

This s not a concern - after all it only flashes if you are breaking the law by speeding.

What is more worrying are the surveillance cameras that track your movement around the motorway and highways.
cambirder 16 7.2k England
5 Feb 2006 3:10PM

Quote:you only see his head and shoulders and a pair of hands gripping the bath...if the social services saw it i would be banged up for life

I think you are being somewhat paranoid about this.
6 Feb 2006 12:32PM
Ashley, you are as mad as the world is, sorry, thats how i see you, perverts are not going to spend hours on a computer just to get their kicks, the material is already on the the net, not that i know where and i certainly dont want to know,
6 Feb 2006 1:05PM
LOL...Yes...Incest...:0(...been around since the dawn of time...be around till the end of time...there is no anwser...perverts have been around as well, Paints a grim world for us all,
phil beale 17 1.5k United Kingdom
6 Feb 2006 5:54PM
Last year I went to centreparcs and you could buy underwater cameras to use in the pools no sort of restriction other than to take pictures of your own family.

Surely if paedophiles want to get their fix they can just go along to the local pool rather than looking at school play photos. I know that some schools now don't print childrens surname in the papers after some families where targeted.

Phil
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
7 Feb 2006 5:04AM
Seems that the CRB is about as good as the MoT. Only shows what the situation was at the time of issue.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.