Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Leica Digilux 2

david deveson 15 62 2 Italy
28 May 2004 4:14PM
Am about to change camera to the Leica Digilux 2. Any comments for or against from anyone who (in my opinion) is lucky enough to own one.
If anyone is interested I have just opened a website at www.daviddeveson.com
Comments on the camera or the site would be welcome.

David

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse 16 41.2k 270 England
28 May 2004 4:35PM
Don't own one but, just in case you haven't already seen it, there's a full technical review HERE

Like all Leicas it seem expensive for what it offers. Interesting conclusion:

"this camera's primary problem however is its price, for $1800 you can get any other prosumer level digital camera (or two) or a six megapixel digital SLR and lenses. If it weren't for this camera's astronomical price I'd be more than happy to give it our 'Highly Recommended' rating, hence if money is no object and you like your brand labels go for the Digilux 2, if you're less brand conscious and want the same camera I'd suggest you take a look at the Panasonic DMC-LC1 (although that's still priced too highly)."

It's a tempting looking bit of kit (I read the spec avidly!) but I think the 28-90mm(efl) fixed zoom would be a bit limiting. That may not be an issue for you though.

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
28 May 2004 6:11PM
David,

I used a Leica Digilux 2 for a couple of weeks and it is a well built piece of kit. The results from the camera were very impressive for a 5mp compact, and noise was minimised in comparison with other similar cameras. But as CB says that beautiful lens is very limiting and at the price there are other more expandable offerings on offer.
It does look the part though.
28 May 2004 7:00PM
I was thinking of buying a Leica Digilux 2 but I changed my mind. Besides some things I would tolerate (No RAW buffer, more noise if you compare it with a same priced SLR and a limited 28-90mm zoom) I think that all these cameras in 3-5 years will be obsolete. This is not an M7 that in 5 -10-20 years will continue to be an M7. So, is it worth for that price when you can get similar quality of pictures for half? I would buy it this afternoon if it costed US 1000. On the other hand, I must confess, the Digilux 2 is so beautiful that I had a hard time changing my mind... but well, I think it's over now.
aalonso 14 2
29 May 2004 9:34PM
I have no idea, but it sure looks damm good...
ihana 15 12 Switzerland
30 May 2004 10:06AM
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 looks to be the
same camera and is cheaper.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.