Lens cleaning

ringyneck 13 315 18 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2008 9:52PM
Bearing in mind they cost only peanuts (relative) does anyone know how to get the front off an Olympus kit 40-150 lens.Will cost more than worth to send it off anywhere.
Dropped it in mud when a week old and it's dried out fogged.It works fine though.

Keith.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor Plus
15 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2008 10:32PM
A spanner wrench set such as those listed on eBay should do it,
providing you take care. Seen quite a few lenses in the past butchered with DIY tools that must have been a hammer and chisel Smile
Ken
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2008 11:06PM
8 Sep 2008 12:10AM
Cheers guys...

Had a look at your sugestions and have decided to go with the D.I.Y. option...just got to find out which way the threads are.
It seems this is a "secret" world that we are not allowed in to..suppose they have to make a living.
As the lens is a cheapo here goes....

Keith
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2008 10:08AM
I use my spanner for LF lenses - useful for fitting to lens panels, and many old lenses are easy to remove elements for cleaning.

With modern lenses for 35mm, I've only looked at those which are already broken, they're a lot more complicated, having the focus mechanism as well as the diaphragm and maybe a stop down mechanism, and possibly a more complicated set of glass. Now you have autofocus electronics as well, and possibly gear wheels made of plastic, the whole thing becomes a complicated mess if just one bit of plastic breaks. Which is why a cheap AF lens can be a false economy. I think guaranteed repairs would be a skilled occupation.

But if its just taking off the front element to clean inside, it probably is a DIY job, and if its not usable anyway, nothing to lose.
Dive in and have fun.
dragarth 15 247 1 Scotland
8 Sep 2008 7:01PM
visions of brick hammer cold chisel and vice....uugghh

just checked on a couple of lenses (different makes though not the same as yours) and they are both right hand threads so a left turn should break them loose - sorry for the choice of words..

good luck
sean
8 Sep 2008 9:48PM
Thanks Keith and Sean...bring on the Brumagem screwdriver (hammer),and let battle commence.

Keith
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
8 Sep 2008 10:32PM
Are you sure the fogging is not internal condensation from water in the mud?
Try storing it in a dry but not hot place front element down rear back cap off for a couple of days to see what happens.
Avoid putting it somewhere hot as this could melt any lubricants in the lens.
sneal 12 6 7 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2008 9:08AM
Interesting topic Keith, what was the outcome? Successful cleaning or a new lens? Wink
Steve

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.