Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

USA Landscape Photographer of the Year 2016 open to entries NOW!

Lens for Sports Photography ...

7 May 2013 1:31PM
I am looking to get into sports photography and wildlife photograpghy in the near future ... and I am currently using a Nikon D7000 - I know this is good enough of body - but the lens I have is a 70-300 AF nikon 4-5.6G which seems to work well when shooting baseball and soccer outdoors in sun light ... but taking it inside that is a different story ...

But with starting on a budget at the moment - buy a prime 2.8 lens is out of the question -

Just looking at what options I may have for my next adventure.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colin beeley Plus
13 1.1k 10 England
7 May 2013 5:08PM
look at some sport images on here & see what lens's have been used , that should give you an idea.
mikehit 7 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
7 May 2013 5:39PM
You've asked this question three times in different guises in the last few months so I would ask is there anything missing from previous replies?

What sports - I am presuming indoor hockey but expanding on that will help (indoor, outdoor)
what wildlife....birds, big/small mammals
how much can you afford?

Outdoor sports in decent light I would say the Sigma lenses would be a very good start, maybe the 120-300 or 120-400 and some rate the 150-500.
For indoor sports the 70-200 will likely be all you need.
LensYews 7 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
7 May 2013 7:44PM
It very much depends on the sport what you'll need, agree with Mike's suggestions, and also what you want to shoot as most lens can fulfil a role in a sport. e.g If you wanted to shoot football, you might need the 400mm f2.8 to isolate the player from the crowd on a football pitch, but then you'll also want a 70-200 on a second body for the action gets close to you, corners and penalty box action, and a third body mounted with a wide-angle on a wireless trigger for behind the goal action. As well as having in the bag a 24-70 & flashgun for group shots after the game, a fast 85mm and studio lighting for player portrait shots and a fisheye for getting close in the media scrum around the star player.

I know this is a Canon page and a few years old now, and you are after Nikon fit lenses, but if might give you some ideas: http://www.sportspictures.com/sports_photography_lens.html
RavenTepes 7 226 United States
12 May 2013 5:57AM

Quote:I am looking to get into sports photography and wildlife photograpghy in the near future ... and I am currently using a Nikon D7000 - I know this is good enough of body - but the lens I have is a 70-300 AF nikon 4-5.6G which seems to work well when shooting baseball and soccer outdoors in sun light ... but taking it inside that is a different story ...

But with starting on a budget at the moment - buy a prime 2.8 lens is out of the question -

Just looking at what options I may have for my next adventure.

You'll loose a couple stops of, but a quick fix would be to consider investing in a teleconverter. If I remember right, Nikon's line up of TC's won't pair well with the 70-300 without giving up auto focus, but I do believe Kenko Pro 300's will pair perfectly. But of course, I could be wrong...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.