Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Lens profiling in Capture one Express for Fuji

KingBee Plus
14 544 2 Scotland
26 Sep 2020 4:45PM
I've just purchased a Fujinon 16mm f2.8 to pair with an X-T3 body. I have still to test this combination but in the meantime, having only today downloaded the latest free version of Capture One Express for Fuji cameras, I have noticed that the above lens is not shown in the list of supported lenses for profiling purposes. Can someone explain to me in the simplest possible terms what my options are when processing .RAF raw files shot with the 16mm f2.8 if I cannot find the exact profile for that lens?

Interestingly, the lens is supported in ON1 PhotoRAW 2020 which is also installed on my PC but I have yet to find a good recipe for processing .RAF files (anybody have one?) using that software, so tend to use only Cap One when exporting files (eg to Lightroom) as TIFFs.

Thanks for any help which may be forthcoming.
Bob
Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
26 Sep 2020 5:30PM
I had a similar situation re.C1and an AF-P Nikon lens.
Your lens will, in my experience at least, be recognised as "Manufacturer Profile," meaning, apparently, that there's sufficient data in the raw that they don't need to apply a separate C1 profile.
Alternatively, use a profile for a lens with similar characteristics although it might take you a while to find one that's close enough.
I tried both and found that the Manufacture Profile setting was usually good enough.

Just as a matter of interest, why would you export files from C1 to Lightroom?
KingBee Plus
14 544 2 Scotland
26 Sep 2020 6:08PM
Thanks Jester. After I posted I did come across something suggesting a 'Manufacturer Profile' would probably do the trick, so I'll try that once I get ready to process images shot with the 16/2.8. Also, there is a profile installed for the 16/1.4 so that might work.

As for:
Quote:why would you export files from C1 to Lightroom?
The simple answer is that my version of LR (6.14) does not support .RAF raw files in any shape or form (I don't shoot in JPEG); neither does my version of Elements. Having run a number of tests with an earlier version of C1 I determined that a raw .RAF file exported to LR as a TIFF variant produces the best drawing board for further processing, as required/desired. LR gives me most everything I need/use to achieve that end. When I'm done I then send the file to Elements for final tweaks and resizing to something more manageable. However, I'm not a whizz in such matters - that's just the way I have tended to do things. Have I interpreted your question correctly?
Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
26 Sep 2020 6:29PM

Quote:Have I interpreted your question correctly?

Thanks and yes, you have.
I only asked because (obviously) Capture One and Lightroom do the same job so exporting from C1, which in my opinion, is vastly superior, to Lightroom seemed unnecessary.
26 Sep 2020 8:57PM
But Adobe Raw I believe is free so why not use that?
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
26 Sep 2020 10:18PM

Quote:Just as a matter of interest, why would you export files from C1 to Lightroom?

Possibly because it has features / tools not available in the Express version of C1 ?

It may be worth considering getting the Pro version for Fuji of C1, the current latest version is 20.1.2 ( 13.1.2. )

KingBee Plus
14 544 2 Scotland
27 Sep 2020 8:19AM

Quote:Possibly because it has features / tools not available in the Express version of C1 ?
JJGEE has hit the nail on the head, pretty much. For all its critics, LR is my go-to PP software for most of what I do, and for what it cannot do well (eg selections, layers) I simply pass the file on to Elements for finishing off.

C1 Express offers me the best way of converting .RAF raw files into formats I can use on other programs, and it's absolutely superb at that, but I don't need it to do anything else; so, the Express version is fine.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.