Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Lenses for Nikon

Emmog 10 38 1 England
21 Feb 2009 8:43PM
Hi there,
I have got a Nikon D1X. I have also borrowed a Sigma 170-500mm and I will probably have to give it back soon. I had a bit of trouble with a Sigma lens that i bought off the internet and have been put of them a bit. Does anyone know of any lenses that are good for macro and wildlife photography? I would preffer an autofocus lens and also i have got a small budget.
Thanks in advance
Matt

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

2himanshu 11 23 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2009 6:42AM
Sigma 150-500mm for wildlife & Sigma 150/180mm for macros, if you prefer third party lenses.
IanA 16 3.0k 12 England
22 Feb 2009 7:07AM
There is normally a reason that any lens, 3rd party or not, is on e-bay!Wink The above are good low priced performers.

Ian
Emmog 10 38 1 England
22 Feb 2009 1:12PM
Hi Ian and 2himanshu,
I will have a look at ebay and see what lenses are cheaply priced.
Cheers
Matt
IanA 16 3.0k 12 England
22 Feb 2009 2:03PM
As I say Matt, thereare often reasons why S/H lenses are on e-bay. Buyer beware and all that.... New ones won't carry UK warranties, and are likely to be cheaper in the shops anyway. Don't buy cheap, just buy once.

Ian
Emmog 10 38 1 England
22 Feb 2009 3:58PM
Hi IanA,
What do you mean by S/H lenses. I have very recently set up in this hobby and i am not sure what all the stuff is and means. Sorry
Matt
Scutter Plus
12 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2009 4:14PM
S/H = second hand
Emmog 10 38 1 England
22 Feb 2009 4:16PM
Oh right. Thanks! I wouldn't have guessed that actually.
Matt
SiPat 11 4 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2009 2:34PM

Quote:There is normally a reason that any lens, 3rd party or not, is on e-bay! The above are good low priced performers.

First of all, buying "from the internet" doesn't necessarily and automatically mean "eBay". I am an eBay veteran (buying) and I always check a sellers history and feedback before I bid.

I have recently returned to SLR photography after a 20-year absence and purchased a Nikon D40 + twin lens kit in mint condition for a very reasonable price. I have also bought two additional lenses off eBay and I am very happy with my purchases, in terms of both price & quality.

Having upgraded to a Nikon D90 after only two months, I have already had friends offer me an instant 50-60 percent profit on the D40 (I'm in two minds about selling it -- it's such a lovely camera!).

You can have a nasty experience even with some "dealers".
conrad 15 10.9k 116
23 Feb 2009 2:38PM
I'll second that. Those who are careful, patient and disciplined, can find some great bargains on eBay and save themselves a lot of money. Except for a few items that I wanted to have new, my kit was bought in used but very good to mint condition, and I have saved a lot of money, and bought stuff that I couldn't otherwise afford.
SamLS 13 237 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2009 7:22AM
I'll 3rd that. I bought a Nikon D200 at very (relatively) low price from eBay last year that was practically mint, even came in the original box with all the packaging etc, and had only done 400-odd shutter actuations. I assume it was excess stock from a camera shop.

... and as for warranty, I registered it on the list of "my equipment" on Nikon's webs site and they gave me the full warranty on it..

I don't think I'm alone here. When I got the D200 the upgrade model had just come out so for a short period eBay was awash with "low usage" D200s at a good price.

So, if you time your search right there are good cheap bargains to be had.
Sam

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.