Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Let Printer Manage Colours

Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2017 8:48PM
In Lightroom or Photoshop if I choose to "Let Printer Manage Colours" the colours are correct. They appear correctly in the driver preview window and when the print comes out of the printer (Canon Pixma iP8750)

If I let the application manage colours, no matter which .icc profile I choose there's a bad colour shift, in the printer driver preview window and when the print comes out of the printer.

This wouldn't matter but unless I can get both ways to work then there's no way to apply profiles for third party papers.

Example image with purples and blues
250184_1512419437.jpg

Driver preview when Lightroom looks after colours, regardless of .icc profile there's always a massive shift, in the preview and the resulting print.
250184_1512419450.jpg

Driver preview when printer manages colours
250184_1512419543.jpg

Seems I'm not alone.

250184_1512420014.jpg

Any idea what is going wrong. Is it double colour management, Photoshop or Lightroom do their bit then the Canon driver does it? I've tried turning off colour management in the driver it doesn't matter what I set, Photoshop or Lightroom seem to send a heavily shifted image to the printer.

Is it because Lr and Ps don't play nice with the 16 bit Canon XPS driver?

Should I just use my paper profiles for soft proofing and let printer manage colours?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 14 4.9k 36 England
4 Dec 2017 9:09PM
I've not got much time to answer fully as I'm just about to watch a film but you don't want to soft proof and let the printer manages colours.
I've not printed from Lightroom for a while as I prefer Qimage but when printing from Photoshop you select Let Photoshop Manage Colours and choose your paper profile.
In the Canon printer driver, select Color/Intensity and choose Manual, then Set and make sure all the sliders are at there default position which should be zero. Then select Matching and make sure None is selected. This will ensure you're not double profiling
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2017 9:13PM
Thanks Justin I got to that point this afternoon.

250184_1512421953.jpg

If I do that, even using Canon .icc profiles, there's a crazy shift when Photoshop Manages Colors but is fine if Printer Manages Colors
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2017 9:19PM
This is the shift in Photoshop with above settings

250184_1512422371.jpg

4 Dec 2017 9:22PM
Ok, so there's no double profiling going on.
What happens when you use your two Permajet papers? Does the same colour shift happen?

Quote:Is it because Lr and Ps don't play nice with the 16 bit Canon XPS driver?

I've never noticed any issue from Photoshop whether using the standard Canon driver or the XPS one. Perhaps try the regular driver to rule out that possibility.
Just print a very small section, a few inches wide on the same sheet of paper to save wasting a whole sheet whilst doing your tests.
4 Dec 2017 9:28PM
If the issue isn't solved by tomorrow I'll switch my printer on tomorrow and see if I can replicate and solve the issue.
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2017 9:58PM
Thanks Justin, yes it does it with the Permajet profiles too. I thought it was perhaps just the Canon driver preview failing (after all it puts random white lines on the preview window) but the colour shift happens on the prints too. I'd be very interested to see what you discover.
Tianshi_angie 2 1.7k England
4 Dec 2017 10:22PM
https://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/grrrr-printing-----116589

Is this 'conversation' any help Chris? Don't know if you saw it.
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2017 11:05PM
Angie I contributed to it and Googled some stuff then so when I got my own printer on Sunday all that was fresh in my mind.

Have tried now from a different computer with the WS version of the driver, there's a few people complaining of the same thing with various Pixma printers here

Philh04 Plus
12 1.3k United Kingdom
5 Dec 2017 8:58AM
Can't help with the driver settings as I am Mac based so rather different. It looks to me that you are doing thing correctly. As I understand things the XPS driver takes advantage of the 16bit pipeline (I think) are you able to turn 16bit printing off?

Is there any colour shift showing when you soft proof?

Have you printed a test image i.e. the one suggested by Justin in a previous thread?

Many canned profiles tend towards what the consumer wishes to see rather than full accuracy leaning towards 'warm' tones, I see quite a difference between using a canned generic profile and one of my own, I do produce 3 different profiles for each paper but normally print with one optimised for neutral tones.

Quote:Should I just use my paper profiles for soft proofing and let printer manage colours?

To the best of my knowledge that wouldn't work effectively.
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
5 Dec 2017 9:12AM
The big colour shift doesn't occur at all when soft proofing, All that happens are the slight variations you expect, the reason for soft proofing in the first place.

I've been following this guide to disable printer colour management

Test prints show the same colour shifts as the Canon print preview does.

I've another PC here and I connected to the printer via over the Wi-Fi and installed the basic driver, not the XPS, same CC apps Ps and Lr same thing happens.

I've been trying to understand this solution but am lost

Philh04 Plus
12 1.3k United Kingdom
5 Dec 2017 10:06AM
Certainly very strange, there would appear to be quite a bit of difference between the Windows and Mac drivers... e.g. there is no print preview in the driver on Mac (at least not that I can find).

Is there any difference to the print if you turn the preview off? Just wondering if that applies the profile in a way that you could be double profiling...
Tianshi_angie 2 1.7k England
5 Dec 2017 10:42AM
Have you tried using Relative Colorimetric rather than Perceptual? ProPhoto has a high colour range and some of those colours may be unobtainable by your printer. Just a thought!
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
5 Dec 2017 10:51AM
Phil, that's the next thing to try, in the "solution" on the Canon site one of the contributors mentions turning off preview, but it's unclear what that solved because they are very quickly talking about adjusting the sliders for magenta as part of the solution.

Don't you have a button "Preview" on the bottom of the window second one from the left?

250184_1512471040.jpg

Angie I've tried the three choices Perceptual, Absolute and Relative. I need to try converting from ProPhoto to sRGB and converting to 8 bit.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.3k United Kingdom
5 Dec 2017 11:26AM
Nope... no preview button on the Mac, at least not on my installation, I would never use it anyway,

I am just wondering if somehow the preview selection is imposing the profile somehow meaning that you are then double profiling without knowing it. If the colour shift doesn't show up when soft proofing there is certainly a problem somewhere down the pipeline.

It is so frustrating when you get troubles like this, be prepared to order extra inks soon Sad I do tend to cut paper down and just print the area that shows a problem whilst testing things out).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.