Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

Let's have a heated debate

Big Bri 18 16.6k United Kingdom
13 Sep 2007 11:57PM
Yeah it is. It's gone all seedy thanks to you.

Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Badger 17 4.7k 20 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 12:04AM
no it's not... it's the pervy ladies that made it seedy... Smile
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
14 Sep 2007 12:19AM
he's **** on there Bri, give him his due Smile
Maddie 14 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 12:51AM
watch it Matt, get to bed!!!!! Wink
Big Bri 18 16.6k United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 7:56AM
Sorry Ade. Decided to start a pillow fight then fell asleep instead Smile
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 10:17AM
Manipulation in any event refers to the use of hands, and as used in the early 19th century it referred particularly to the skillful handling of objects. Photographers, since they usually did their own developing and printing, commonly referred to themselves as manipulators, and the process as manipulation.
So, if your photography does not involve processing and printing your negatives by hand, you're not doing manipulation.
(Just trying to be awkward here)
Ammonyte 14 4 1 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 5:10PM
What is reality? All our eyes are different, our brains are different, we all see things differently. We've been using filters for years, we've been dodging and burning in the lab. Digital manipulation is just another step in the process.
chrissd 14 304 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 5:56PM
photography is an art form!!

leastways it is for me!!

as such, anything goes, not that I manipulate to death, I am not capable of that, I dont even sharpen my images, but as an art form anything goes as long as it looks good, you do what yo want to do when you want to, if others dont like it its fine, if they do its fine
Tooth 15 5.8k 227 Ireland
14 Sep 2007 9:50PM

Quote:What is reality? All our eyes are different, our brains are different, we all see things differently.

I oftn take off my specs to see people's nice soft focus effects..
Smile
Possum Plus
13 148 England
16 Sep 2007 10:37AM
Best thread I've read for a long time.
I am still learning the craft of photography and use digital manipulation (and also digital enhancement Smile) a lot, but I love art in all its forms. If the photography is pure and striaght out of the camera, that's skill - but so is the ability to get the very best out of the starter image. I wonder if the issue here is about honesty? I often look at shots that look as if they have been PS'd and yet there is no mention of it in the description/labelling. The purism argument is age-old and will no doubt continue to rage; I feel there is room for both schools of thought in this world.
User_Removed 17 39 6 Scotland
19 Sep 2007 6:19PM
Its one of the debates I have been participating in for years on various sites and with various photographers and guess what, I don't care either way any longer. I at one time would get very hot under the collar if someone took at swipe at my photography and said "but its not real photography", and on other sites some people would criticize my art for having to much photography in it. Decided there was no way I would ever win the argument. My main disappointment in this theory was that many people were missing out on viewing work that would potentially inspire, provoke or even outrage them them, yes it would get the blood boiling, the mind thinking and perhaps give the imagination a little spark of life. There has been times over the years that I have been disappointed at viewing figures for some of my uploads as I am all to aware that there is still a degree of "won't view digital manipulation" so your clicks and views tend to be the same loyal viewers. So what do you do, well I have on occasions put a photo up which HAS been digitally manipulated to death, the original shot or shots were poor in my opinion and worth all the effort I put in. Did I get a higher click count , you bet I did, the difference was the subject matter was natural to begin with and all the makeover enhanced the ORDINARY look about it, nothing surreal or fantasy like in nature, and no digital tag. Was this wrong, suppose so , did I care, not a jot, it was just to make a point to myself that without titles, tags and the like the photograph would be looked at without prejudice eyes and enjoyed or hated on that ground alone. Come on folks life is too short, photography is to be enjoyed, photography is full of manipulation of one kind or another, the camera, lens, UV filters, time exposures, time of day, weather etc etc etc etc.

Victor

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.