Life's just too damn short!

flossie 17 1.6k
6 Sep 2004 9:45AM
A few of you know that my Dad is very poorly. I'm not after sympathy, I just want to remind you all that you have to live life to the full, treasure every minute because you just don't know what's round the corner.
My wonderful dad is 60 and as fit as a fiddle, he'd had a round of golf with my Mum and their friends last weekend and started getting a bit breathless when they got home at teatime. He slowly got worse and my Mum rang the ambulance because he was starting to panic a bit.
He was on the ward, just his usual self although he had the oxygen mask on and they said he'd got pneumonia. We were naturally concerned but not unduly worried, thought he'd have some antibiotics and be home in a couple of days. Not to be ...he suddenly deteriorated in the night and has been in intensive care on a ventilater for nearly a week now. The bacteria that cause the pnemonia got into his blood and poisoned his whole body ...he's sedated and paralized and has a hundred tubes and wires going into him, with monitors bleeping all around.
The nurses are marvelous, just really outstanding every one of them and a credit to their profession, he has someone with him 24 hours a day recording everything and monitoring him so we have got to know them quite well over the last week.
So keep your fingers crossed for my Dad, but remember to make the most of every day ...life is precious and the little things we usually worry about are really insignificant in the whole scheme of things.
6 Sep 2004 9:50AM
Oh Anne I'm so sorry to hear that, my thoughts are with you. I agree with you about life being precious though and sometimes we can lose sight of the good things in life. Chin up, I'm sure it will all be fine. K.
Ian White 18 183 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2004 9:54AM
Finger's cross Anne,my thoughts are also with you.
Ian.
Miles Herbert 18 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2004 9:55AM
Sorry to hear about your Dad, Anne, hope he gets better soon.

Miles
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2004 10:00AM
Anne,

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time, I hope you dad will come through this. You are right to remind us to make the most of everyday and to take time to appreciate our loved ones as much as we can. Our parents always appear invincible in our eyes and it is a great shock when they are ill.

Fingers crossed for you all and there are many people here wishing you well.

Chris
csurry 18 9.2k 92
6 Sep 2004 10:03AM
Know what you mean Anne, my outlook on life changed when my dad died suddenly when I was 19, he was just 52. Real shock one day there, next gone.

I know the situation is hard to deal with, but remember if the worse happens you have time to say goodbye. Cherish every moment, my last words to my dad were a pathetic argument about someone on the telly. Not a good memory and took a while to deal with.

I hope that he improves soon Anne. Sometimes we need a jolt in life but it is better if it doesn't have to be so serious to make us take stock.

Take care
Cheryl
EnglishRose 16 271 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2004 10:11AM
Thinking of you and your family.

Life throws some horrible things at you to deal with sometimes.

Hope everything turns out well.

L X
Phil-LS 17 632 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2004 10:27AM
Hi Anne I hope things Get better soon and my thoughts are with you and your Family.

As you say Life is too short so we have to make the most of the time we are here.

Phil
akh Plus
16 1.2k 5 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2004 10:30AM
Hope everything goes well, my thoughts are with you.
Tony
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2004 10:31AM
Anne, I hope all goes well for you and your family. Your thoughts on the importance of making the most of each day are something we should all remember.

I very nearly lost my life in a motorcycle accident when I was 19 and swore I would treasure every moment after I recovered. But of course, like everyone else, I forgot and started bitching about the small things that irritate everyday. A recent cancer scare reminded me of how precious and uncertain our time here is.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Anne, I'll keep my fingers crossed for him

Brian
BOB S 18 2.6k
6 Sep 2004 10:36AM
I hope that your father makes a good recovery, I can reiterate your call for people to get the most out of life. In 1997 at 44 I had a heart attack, completely out of the blue and it makes you think hard about what is and is not important and just shows how vulnerable we all are.

BOB
digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2004 10:49AM
Hope your Dad recovers fully Anne. My Wife lost her father last Christmas after a long illness so we know what you are going through. Thanks for taking the time to remind us of what we have to value.

Ian
sabretalon 16 1.9k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2004 11:09AM
Sorry to hear about this Anne.

Yes you have to live your life to the full. I lost my brother a couple of years ago, that was sudden, no chance to prepare or say goodbye.

Listen to us, were all being a little too morbid! I hope he does pull through OK and you all have many happy years together. This sort of thing puts life into perspective and really reminds you that nothing is really worth arguing over, you never know if you will get the chance to say sorry!

I was brought back to life on an operating table so I do know the importance of living your life to the full, do what you want to do and not what others want you to do.

Give him a big hello and best wishes from us and give yourself a big hug from us.

Glenn
alansnap 16 577 26 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2004 11:41AM
Anne,

How worrying for you. I do hope your dad makes a speedy recovery. Meanwhile my thoughts go out to you and your Mum.

regards,

Alan:O)
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2004 11:42AM
Good sentiments and I hope your father recovers well

John.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.