Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Light stand adaptor for old flash head...

jimthistle73 12 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
4 May 2012 10:40AM
Morning all. I recently bought an old but barely used flash head to add to my studio kit. Just found out though that the bracket doesn't fit on my light stands, which is a pain - it's just a smidgen too small for the stands. The light stands in question are just the normal, modern fitting.

Does anyone know if there is an adaptor I can buy to make the new light fit? Sorry for the vagueness - I'm kind of hoping there are two standard sizes or something easy like that...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete Plus
15 18.8k 96 England
4 May 2012 10:46AM
That normal modern fitting has been the standard for years. What make is the flash head?
4 May 2012 12:03PM
Hi Pete - I suspected as much. It's a Courtenay Solaflash head - it's very, very basic but I got it very, very cheap from a guy on here, so can't complain! Google isn't helping here :-(
Pete Plus
15 18.8k 96 England
4 May 2012 12:24PM
Has it got a square frame bracket with the stand adaptor mounted in the center at the bottom? If so is that welded or does it unscrew. If it unscrews you can buy a lighting stand spigot if yours doesn't have a 1/4in thread and then screw that in. If you have a lighting stand with the standard tripod screw top it should go in the thread on the bracket.
4 May 2012 1:38PM
Yes, it has a square bracket with an un-threaded, welded protuberance (sure that's not the right word!). So sadly, a spigot isn't the answer here. I suppose I could file down one of my light stands - might be the only option!
Pete Plus
15 18.8k 96 England
4 May 2012 1:53PM

Quote:welded protuberance

Interfit may like to use that description in future Wink
That's a shame I don't recall Courtenay having an incompatible system - they had reverse polarity leads but that was the only thing I remember as being different.
4 May 2012 4:41PM
Have managed to bodge an old interfit tilting bracket onto the existing bracket using a massive drill bit and a massive nut and bolt. I can now tilt the head in four directions too Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.