Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lightbulb advice

ade123 Plus
5 285 1 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 1:34PM
I have just obtained 2 bayco clamp lights from America and would like to know which
Light bulbs to use,I will be using them with a light tent for photographing small items etc.
The fitting is a screw in type and the on the label it states maximum 150w (type R,PAR-38 or BR)
Or 200w type A) I will obviously have to buy an adapter for the plug but for $6 dollars each I thought
It was a good purchase and a relative posted them for free.
I just wondered if anyone could give me some pointers on purchasing the right light bulbs.
Regards Adrian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jat_Riski 9 89 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 2:01PM
Have a look @ cpc.co.uk website Adrian you may find helpful.
GlennH 12 1.9k 1 France
12 Feb 2013 2:24PM
There's a useful PDF here that defines those bulb-types if you scroll down. You can still buy high-wattage incandescent GLS bulbs (type-A) in the UK because they slipped through a loophole in the EU phase-out if I remember correctly. With a PAR light you may be able to fit an LED alternative, albeit at a cost. The main advantage would be no discernible heat, plus vastly longer lifespan and less fragility.
ade123 Plus
5 285 1 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2013 7:04AM
Thanks for the advice i now have the problem of sorting out the wiring as they are 120v
So need an adapter or does anyone know if the lights can be re wired to uk standard
GlennH 12 1.9k 1 France
13 Feb 2013 8:00AM
The adapters are just a few quid on Amazon so don't know if it's worth rewiring? Also, flicking around on the internet suggests you don't need to switch the cable on a straightforward lighting fixture - just the plug and bulb.

Reminds me of the brief period I spent testing CRT monitors from America - a mind-numbing job, but I was occasionally woken up if I forgot to switch the voltage!
thewilliam 9 6.1k
13 Feb 2013 10:10AM
Be very careful when checking the supply voltage needed for your lights because US mains supply is about half the voltage of ours.

Plugging any US appliance directly into our supply is very likely to result in some fireworks or worse unless you use the correct step-down transformer.

If you're able to get bulbs rated for European mains voltage, you'll need to check the voltage rating of the cable and connectors. If it's less than 230V, don't use it with UK mains. You could cause injury and you'll invalidate your fire insurance.
ade123 Plus
5 285 1 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2013 6:39PM
I have been to maplins and they have the transformer for 29.99 and this will enable me to use
The light safely
Regards Adrian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.