Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Lightroom 3 query

Fujiconvert 17 1.3k England
11 Sep 2011 6:45AM
I had some shots in a folder that i subsequently wanted in another folder. I didn't want to copy and paste into my chosen folder so i decided to export as a catalogue into it. this resulted in all my presets and export presets vanishing,even down to my identity plate. It was like a fresh installation of Lightroom and starting all over again. Can anyone enlighten me as to what went wrong and how to avoid this in future.
I fortunately had back up copies of my presets on an external hd.
Cheers,Phil.
JJGEE 16 8.0k 18 England
11 Sep 2011 9:07AM
No idea what went wrong.

BUT
All exporting as a catalogue does is create a new catalogue, not move images within folders !

What you are attempting to do can be done from directly within Lightroom>>> Library Module.

All you need to do is create a new folder >>> then drag and drop the images from the old folder to the new one.
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
11 Sep 2011 10:43AM
First Phil, I hope you saved your last catalogue as a back up.

I know many like Lightrooms catalogue system - it's the one area I can't stand. I use external drives and sometimes if I have a power problem the drives get assigned a deferent letter messing the catalogue up.

The problem if you drag and drop you will move the images out of the catalogue and you will have to tell Lightroom to find them again. Best using the move function from within Lightroom to move the image and preset/ development settings.
Fujiconvert 17 1.3k England
11 Sep 2011 1:24PM
Cheers chaps. I'll try that. I do have back ups for all.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
11 Sep 2011 4:59PM

Quote: I use external drives and sometimes if I have a power problem the drives get assigned a deferent letter messing the catalogue up.

It does indeed. Mystified me the first time it happened (as a result of installing additional drives while my main "Photo Library" drive was switched off.)

However, once you know that has happened, it is just a 20-second job to re-assign the correct letters to the affected drives and, thus forewarned, you are not mystified if it ever happens again.

What I can't fathom is why Phil lost his presets and suchlike.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.