Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Lightroom 4 not supporting my new 7dii

AlanJ Plus
5 1.0k England
15 Apr 2018 11:36AM
So having finally convinced myself to upgrade my camera with a used 7dii from Wex I have just discovered that my LR4 cannot read the file format. Sad

It seems I have the option of using a different editing program or change to the monthly plan. I currently have Elements 11 as well.

I'm comfortable with LR & Elements so I'm tempted. However I don't want to find all the LR4 edits and files can't be read by the newer suite.
If anyone has made a similar move I'd be grateful for any advice.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 3 2.2k England
15 Apr 2018 12:14PM
Make sure that your Lightroom catalogue(s) are up-to-date and all of your files will be safe - I believe that the only software that can delete them is Windows - but that may be just my experience of Windows! The Lightroom monthly payment is, I think, very good value for money. All the upgrades are freely added whenever they are available and the additions are, to my mind, very worth having. Not to mention that you will also get Photoshop and Lightroom Classic. Enjoy.
15 Apr 2018 12:19PM
You could convert your files to dng with the free converter then edit in Lr4
rambler Plus
10 1.0k 17 England
15 Apr 2018 1:48PM
Firstly I do not format my compact flash cards on my 7dii and I always convert them to Tiffs after processing. I have not had the problem but will try a batch of new shots as a test.

Ken
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
15 Apr 2018 2:15PM
If you are comfortable with your existing software and don't mind the extra step to be able to import your raw files as DNG, then the free converter from Adobe is indeed a viable option.

The improvements to the latest version of Lightroom Classic CC (7.13) and the ability to have and use Photoshop CC are indeed compelling reasons to subscribe, depending on your feelings on the subscription model.

All your edits will be still complete after the catalogue is upgraded (it is a good idea to make a copy of your catalogue files first though), in fact your original catalogue will be left as is, CC will be installed alongside and LR4 will remain on your computer.
Fma7 3 858 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2018 9:46PM
LR6 is also an option?

Link
AlanJ Plus
5 1.0k England
16 Apr 2018 12:20PM
Thanks all.
I've decided to treat myself and get the subscription.
The new camera and a 400m 5.6 lens I bought recently are the first real expenditure for some time (if you ignore the new PC I recently bought but I had no option as the old one went AWOL). The 650d was bought in 2011 and will still be used particularly when the moveable screen is useful.
As I head inexorably (unless the fella with the scythe intervenes) towards retirement I feel I'm now set up to look forward to my photography with the right equipment to make it enjoyable. At less than a pint of beer per week it doesn't seem too extravagant.
lynbel 11 2 England
17 Apr 2018 5:07PM
Get yourself On1 2018 its better than Lightroom and you only have to pay for it once, saving you s.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.