Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Lightroom 5 catalogue issues

thatmanbrian 9 342 3 Spain
10 Jun 2013 9:56PM
On the Adobe Forum, I asked:

If I let my retail LR5 access my LR4 Catalog, will it retain the develop history states from the left-hand pane? I often want to return to an image and undo a few of the latest adjustments but not all, so it will be a disaster if the history isn't transferred to the converted catalog.

A very quick reply from an experienced user assured me all would be well.

It wasn't.

adobe1.jpg

As you can, an extensive history of adjustments has vanished. I can revert to the original raw state but not step back in a linear fashion to undo the last five adjustments for example. I'm pretty sure this is because the record of adjustments isn't in the catalog which is just a library, but in a sidecar file or xmp file. But All I did was ask LR5 to import my LR4 catalog. Should I have used a different method? Maybe create a new catalog then import all my folders and images???
Gaucho 19 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2013 10:17PM
All I did was File/Open Catalog and then it went through the procedure of updating my LR4 catalog to LR5. All the history on my images are complete. You say you imported the catalog so that must be the problem. Your old catalog should still be there so all is not lost.
10 Jun 2013 10:19PM
OK thanks, I'll try opening my old catalog....
cats_123 Plus
17 5.1k 30 Northern Ireland
10 Jun 2013 10:20PM
From another question on the forum...
Quote:The Lightroom 5 install makes a copy of the LR4.4 catalogue and converts it for use with LR5, retaining all the information from LR4.4. Your LR 4.4 catalogue remains for use with LR4.4

Your `history' will be in your 4.4 catalogue (I guess)

Does this help?
10 Jun 2013 10:24PM
Not very useful then! I want to process my images in the new LR5.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
10 Jun 2013 10:49PM

Quote:As you can, an extensive history of adjustments has vanished.

No I cannot.

What it is telling me is you have a tif file displayed which probably does not have a history.
When LR creates a tif there is no history until you make changes to it, you cannot go back through history from the tif to the raw file, which in this case would be CR2
yonda1960 8 1
10 Jun 2013 10:56PM
All my history from LR4.4 is available in LR5. Can't see why yours would be any different?

capture.jpg
10 Jun 2013 11:03PM
A bad example then, but I know there were adjustments to that image and the same lack of history applies to all the others including CR2s. I'm currently trying a different method to the automatic import that LR5 offered the first time I opened it. Will let you know when it's finished!
Gundog 8 629 Scotland
10 Jun 2013 11:04PM

Quote:All I did was File/Open Catalog and then it went through the procedure of updating my LR4 catalog to LR5. All the history on my images are complete. You say you imported the catalog so that must be the problem. Your old catalog should still be there so all is not lost.

Ditto. No problems

(At first it wanted to use the truncated catalogue that LR5 Beta had created but I soon disabused it of that silly notion and pointed it towards my latest LR4 catalogue. It took a short coffee break to run the conversion but all is well.)
10 Jun 2013 11:11PM
OK panic over, opening my old catalog and letting LR5 convert it has worked.

To remind others why it went wrong, after I installed LR5 and firs ran it it immediately offered to import my LR4 catalog. So I assumed this is what I should do. But wrong. I should have pointed it to my old catalog and let it convert, not import.

Thanks.
ENGLISHSKIN 14 249
11 Jun 2013 3:52PM
I go to FILE - OPEN CATALOG and my LR4 isn't highlighted so i cant open it !! Where am i going wrong ?
Gaucho 19 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2013 4:02PM
Open Catalog should open a folder in Windows Explorer where your Lightroom Catalog is stored. Double click on the catalog you want and it will then convert to LR5. Can you tell us exactly what you are doing?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.