The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

Lightroom 6 continued use

digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2019 9:25AM
Robbie and I are both still using LR6 and don't really fancy stumping up 20 a month to move to the subscription model, especially as we have both stopped working recently.

As long as we don't change our cameras for models with unsupported file formats, is there any really compelling reason to upgrade? I know it's faster and there are some shiny new tools, but we don't have a wish list of things we need in the current version.

Ta

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
6 Dec 2019 9:34AM

Quote:As long as we don't change our cameras for models with unsupported file formats, is there any really compelling reason to upgrade? I

Probably not.
The only thing to be aware of, which you probably already are, is upgrading computers / operating systems ( particularly Apple ) which may not support older versions of LR or the other way round even !

Not seen your user name on the forums for quite a while, so welcome back.

6 Dec 2019 10:54AM
I agree probably not, if it works well for you keep using it. Only problem is if you change cameras to one's not supported, however it's not difficult to run the manufacturers converter before using it..
6 Dec 2019 12:54PM
Cheers folks and also thanks for the welcome back. Smile
andart 17 522 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2019 1:00PM
I'm still running lightroom 5.7 but I have added Affinity Photo to my software as it gives me options for HDR, focus stacking etc. It's on sale now for about 34.
6 Dec 2019 1:09PM
Cheers. LR6 has those.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.8k 58 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2019 2:06PM
I'm also eeking out LR6 - when i change camera then i'll reconsider alternatives for importing and easy edits. Including just using MS photos to import them.
Tianshi_angie 5 2.7k England
6 Dec 2019 2:57PM
Just a correction to your pricing suggestion - the subscription model includes a lot more than Lightroom - a total of ten programmes - but the price for me and I think for most folk in the UK is just under 10 a month.
6 Dec 2019 5:55PM

Quote:Just a correction to your pricing suggestion - the subscription model includes a lot more than Lightroom - a total of ten programmes - but the price for me and I think for most folk in the UK is just under 10 a month.

There are two of us. 😊
ArtyArt 8 338 2 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2019 7:47PM

Quote:
Quote:Just a correction to your pricing suggestion - the subscription model includes a lot more than Lightroom - a total of ten programmes - but the price for me and I think for most folk in the UK is just under 10 a month.

There are two of us. 😊

Taken from the adobe community

You may install software on up to two computers. These two computers can be Windows, Mac OS, or one each. If you install on a third computer, it will request you to de-activate on the other two computers. You can then reactivate one of the previous two computers, and use Creative Cloud apps on it.
7 Dec 2019 12:00AM
Thanks, hadn't spotted that. I still think I will wait until we absolutely need to upgrade.
cats_123 Plus
15 4.9k 29 Northern Ireland
7 Dec 2019 9:25AM
Still using LR4.... will probably see it through,bit it will see me through!! 😁😁😁🎄🎄
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 609 England
7 Dec 2019 11:42AM
You can always convert your RAW files to DNG and continue with LR6.
Chris_L 6 5.4k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2019 2:51PM

I love your corrections, are you sure there are ten programmes? I can't see a plan like that, there's this one
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
8 Dec 2019 7:51AM

Quote:

I love your corrections, are you sure there are ten programmes? I can't see a plan like that, there's this one

On the basic point of extras with the subscription method there is provision for your own free web site, a good amount of free cloud storage, provision for a link you can send others so they can view a specific catalogue of images, Camera RAW etc. etc.
Those only using Lightroom with an occasional dabble into PhotoShop are missing out on a lot of features.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.