Lightroom alternative recommendations please.

21 Mar 2019 5:56PM
Can anybody recommend an alternative to Lightroom. Not Aperture as Apple stopped developing it and not any software that you have to subscribe to. This is what puts me off Lightroom, don't like the idea of monthly subscriptions and I wish Adobe would give me the choice. Feel like I'm been held hostage with all that subscription stuff, but hey, I digress.

So, Lightroom alternative that I can just buy as a one-off software package.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 36 Norway
21 Mar 2019 6:11PM
Adobe Elements is still available as a one-off purchase.
Try the 30-day free trial:
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
21 Mar 2019 7:24PM
Quite a few alternatives from free to downright expensive... What is it that you do not like about the Adobe subscription model? After all you will always have the latest version that your OS will support...

A list off the top of my head...

Darktable.
On1 Photo Raw
Luminar 3
Elements (as mentioned previously)
Capture One
Affinity Photo

Depends on what you are after...

21 Mar 2019 10:08PM
Philh04, I guess I just like the idea of owning something, not having to rent it monthly. It just means in the future I'll always need Lightroom to open files that I'd edited in it, something doesn't sit right with me on that one. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
22 Mar 2019 8:30AM

Quote:It just means in the future I'll always need Lightroom to open files that I'd edited in it,

That isn't exactly right, you will always have your original files which will remain untouched...

However of the apps I listed perhaps the closest to an all in one editing package with feature similar to Lightroom and some that are similar to Photoshop would be On1 Photo Raw.... You can download a trial to see if it suits you...
22 Mar 2019 8:44AM
I have Photoshop CS5 (none subscription) and am familiar with it. Whatever the closest thing to Lightroom would be ideal. I'll look into On1 Photo Raw.
Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
22 Mar 2019 11:51AM
The issue for most of us is managing the large catalogue. LR is excellent for catalogue management and this aspect is vital for me. I have tried the editing facility of several of the Raw Editor rivals and still preferred LR. The cc version comes with PS as well which gives some valuable facilities though I do not use many features of PS but do use almost all features of LR. I have no problem with the monthly fee unless there was a very significant increase. So yes, I do feel trapped, but in a good place. Perhaps one day a rival will produce a comprehensive package similar to LR/PS an have the ability to import existing LR catalogues!!!!

Dave
779HOB 7 1.2k United Kingdom
22 Mar 2019 12:45PM
I wasn't keen on the subscription idea with Adobe but have to say I think it's pretty good value really. I pay about 120 a year for Lightroom and Photoshop - pay upfront each year by DD so it doesn't really feel like a monthly rental. I think you'd be hard pushed to find a true comparative bit of software really. Unless you don't really need all that LR has to offer I guess.
22 Mar 2019 3:54PM
All I need is a way of converting RAW files and just making colour/tone/contrast/brightness soft of adjustments, but in a way that they don't introduce grain and noise into the photograph, so they can be prepared for printing. Maybe some colour grad type filter FX, but not too much more than that.
capto Plus
7 5.9k 13 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2019 4:24PM

Quote:All I need is a way of converting RAW files and just making colour/tone/contrast/brightness soft of adjustments, but in a way that they don't introduce grain and noise into the photograph, so they can be prepared for printing. Maybe some colour grad type filter FX, but not too much more than that.

I have Affinity Photo and Photoshop. I do still prefer PS, but AF is pretty close and will do all you want. At the moment it is on offer at 20% discount, 38.99. All updates are free.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/
banehawi Plus
15 2.2k 4045 Canada
22 Mar 2019 4:54PM
Affinity Photo is very good. Theres also a review of it here on EPZ.
22 Mar 2019 4:59PM
I already have Photoshop CS5 so Elements would not be considered an upgrade from that. Also, want something more like Lightroom. I loved Apple's Aperture, but they stopped developing that software. Want as close to Lightroom as I can get in that it has the similar 3-part structure: library, developing, output.
DerekL 14 211 24 England
22 Mar 2019 6:23PM
Try RawTherapee. It's a powerful photo software and FREE open source.
http://rawtherapee.com/downloads

Here is a comparison site for alternatives to Lightroom
https://expertphotography.com/best-lightroom-alternative/
22 Mar 2019 9:16PM
Affinity Photo looks like it might be ok too. More research on this one. What does everybody else use around here? Mostly Lightroom I expect. I might just buy a copy of Lightroom version 6 for 130 off eBay as a one-off.
Snapper Plus
14 4.4k 3 Scotland
23 Mar 2019 12:28AM

Quote:Affinity Photo looks like it might be ok too. More research on this one. What does everybody else use around here? Mostly Lightroom I expect. I might just buy a copy of Lightroom version 6 for 130 off eBay as a one-off.

No offence intended Nigel, but photography isn't a free hobby if you want to work in a modern way. Adobe CC is 9.98 a month and I wish I could buy a decent quality film and have it developed for that price, but seemingly 33p a day for the world leading technology is too much for you? Feel free to google alternatives as you're not alone in seeking one, but don't expect to find the holy grail.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.