Lightroom alternative recommendations please.

Tianshi_angie 4 2.6k England
24 Mar 2019 5:37PM
Sorry that should be Adobe Certified Professional. Don't shoot the messenger Phil - just copying what is said on an Adobe site and as far as I can see no-one has contradicted it.

Perhaps I should expand on what was said. If you cancel your subscription then the programmes stop working but if you renew your subscription they start working again. You can do this, apparently, repeatedly. This is not 'of my knowledge' just on an Adobe site.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
24 Mar 2019 6:15PM

Quote:Sorry that should be Adobe Certified Professional. Don't shoot the messenger Phil - just copying what is said on an Adobe site and as far as I can see no-one has contradicted it.

Perhaps I should expand on what was said. If you cancel your subscription then the programmes stop working but if you renew your subscription they start working again. You can do this, apparently, repeatedly. This is not 'of my knowledge' just on an Adobe site.

No again.... The "Photography Plan" is an annual subscription, you can pay monthly but it is still an annual sub, cancel your subscription and you are penalised 50% of your remaining time... So you really would be out of pocket if you subscribed for a month and then cancelled wouldn't you... when you renew your subscription you would then have to sign up for a year again...

Other, more expensive plans do allow for a monthly sub but not the 'Photography Plan'... You may be quoting from an Adobe community site but it does not mean that the info quoted is correct (it clearly isn't). ACP btw stands for Adobe Community Professional, which really does not mean a lot...

And to correct things when you cancel your CC subscription the software does not stop working all you loose is the develop and map modules in Lightroom, you can still import and use all the other modules, heck you can still use quick develop in the browse module.

The correct answer for the OP is that if you subscribe to the 'Photography Plan' then you can do so for a year, but you will be penalised should you cancel before that year is up...

Len's recommendation of NX-D along side the OP's Photoshop CS5 is IHMO the way forward especially if he is only looking at occasional use.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2019 1:14PM
Also If you buy a new camera then the files may not import directly into LR, so you will be forced to subscribe or use another product to process the files into a neutral file format acceptable for LR/PS.
So my 'investment' in older software is time limited by me getting a new camera.

I don't like subscription models either, it seems like a tax on my hobby.

Though with mortgages, car finance, council tax, etc then i guess Adobe photo tax just follows suit.
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
25 Mar 2019 1:20PM

Quote:So my 'investment' in older software is time limited by me getting a new camera

And not getting a new computer / operating system as older software may not work with them.
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
26 Mar 2019 9:30AM

Quote:
So my 'investment' in older software is time limited by me getting a new camera.

That is not entirely true, though I consider it substantially true.
Adobe do not update old single payment products for very long.
Other software is similar.
When I new camera comes out that is not recognised by an old PS package other software can be used to convert to tiff or PNG format which Adobe software recognises.
There is a lot of work, and more disc space may be requires.
Even on subscription it can be, and for Nikon often is, several weeks before Adobe software recognises the new NEF files.

Quote: I don't like subscription models either, it seems like a tax on my hobby.

Unlike a lot of "taxes" paying for post processing software is optional - and you know what you are paying for.
6 Apr 2019 11:19AM
Leaning towards Affinity Photo and Photo Mechanic, the two combined should nail it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.