Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Lightroom and Nik

Merlin_k Plus
8 13 12 United States
6 Sep 2017 2:49AM
I use Lightroom CC as my basic image handling software. I find it good for managing my images, easy to file, keyword etc. Up until recently I used it for my post processing as well. I never got on with Photoshop, finding I was too heavy handed and easily got unreal looking images. I have recently discovered (been pointed to) the Nik software by the wonderful people who frequent and populate the critique section of this site. I am liking it, finding it more idiot proof than Photoshop and more sympathetic to the editing.
However I have two mild grumbles which may be the way I am using it, so any thoughts or advice:
1) From Lightroom I open to edit in Viveza. This is fine, when I save and close I now have the original and the edited version. Now open again to edit in Color Efex, I have some choices I can edit the original but then I lose any previous edits, or I can open another copy. So this time when I save and close I have the original and two copies. Basically each time I open to edit I end up with another version. It gets very unwieldy.
2) Once I have finished editing in a Nik program and save it, if I then open it again from Lightroom then I can't see what filters or processing I have previously done in the history. The edited image displays correctly but I am not able to check what I have applied in the previous editing session.
It's probably me so anyone able to say how they are using the software and not getting these (minor) issues?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2017 6:52AM
That's the way it is (and it's not Lightroom's fault). Once you get Lightroom to hand over your work to something else (including Photoshop) changes will be saved to a new file due to the way the third party software works. Changes won't be recorded in a completely undoable step-by-step way.

It's a bit like taking your car to the Lightroom garage, as the mechanic works on the car he writes down everything on a sheet so that it can be undone easily. When the Nik garage take the car away to do some custom work it's returned without any record and the Lightroom garage start with a blank sheet as if it's a car they've never worked on before.
sausage Plus
13 461 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2017 8:19AM
It is a bit of a pain using Nik when you want to go back and re-edit one of your shots and not remembering which filter was used. But on the other hand Nik is free and it is no longer supported so it will never change (not in the foreseeable future anyway)
Philh04 Plus
12 1.3k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2017 9:13AM
A few things which may be of use and is how I work if using external editors...

Firstly take advantage of virtual copies, I create a virtual copy if I think I am going to work in an external editor and work with that, you can make a virtual copy of files that have been edited by Nik... You can use Snapshots, but they are not quite as handy.

To keep a lot of clutter from appearing in your grid view take advantage of the stacking, that way you only get to see one version (you can choose which one is the top image) and you have an indication that there are other versions below.

To keep track of any edits done in an external editor use the 'comments' section of the EXIF data as your notebook... i.e. you could add 'Edited in Viveza, preset xxxxxx used, local edits in xxxx area etc'

HTH

Phil
Tianshi_angie 2 1.7k England
6 Sep 2017 10:10AM
As you have Lightroom CC when you wish to go further with Nik, then you could transfer your image to PS CC and do your Nik editing within Photoshop. You can then save the file as a PSD. Synchronising the folders within Lightroom will add the PS 'save' to the catalogue. As the two systems actually do work well together there are no glitches in working like this.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.3k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2017 11:54AM
Should also add in addition to my earlier post and the other good advice, you can use collections to help keep you organised as well. If you create a collection for a shoot or subject then within that collection you can have further collections for, say, edited in Viveza, drag the edited files into that collection and you can drill down the files without having to view loads in the grid.

Hope that makes sense.
Merlin_k Plus
8 13 12 United States
6 Sep 2017 1:17PM
Some great tips there, thanks.
10 Sep 2017 11:19AM
I'm the other way. Why use Lightroom when we also have Photoshop Cc.

I didn't like Lightroom compared to Photoshop!
Philh04 Plus
12 1.3k United Kingdom
11 Sep 2017 4:36PM

Quote:I'm the other way. Why use Lightroom when we also have Photoshop Cc.

I didn't like Lightroom compared to Photoshop!

Two different beasts... Lightroom is a very competent DAM with text based edits and was designed for photographers.

Photoshop is a very competent pixel editor with rudimentary DAM facilities (through bridge) and was conceived with graphics professionals in mind.

Of course there are some things that are better when you use both.

Lightroom handles my Asset management, most of my processing without creating TIFF's and JPEG's all over the place and handles all my final output needs, particularly useful if going to print as I do not need to convert from the raw file and I can output to 16bit (Mac with 16bit drivers).

For the amount I use Photoshop the cut down Elements would suffice (apart from very limited 16bit support) but as the full version comes with a CC sub then I may as well use it...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.