Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Lightroom surprise!

lemmy 13 2.9k United Kingdom
15 Aug 2015 11:04AM
I picked up a Panasonic GX8 yesterday and shot some stuff on it today. Normally have to wait for a new camera to be recognised by LR (because I only shoot RAW, I suppose) . Not this time, the camera is just out and it's already catered for.

I have a Creative Cloud account so it's one of the things that happens during the regular updates, I guess. I didn't fancy the Creative Cloud thing when it first came out but with professional pressures on my time, having the latest PS and LR is paying off in convenience. At the moment it seems a bargain and my one concern is that it makes me a hostage to fortune. What if Adobe just doubled or tripled the price next year?

I hope they wouldn't be so daft but with modern companies attitude to long term customers you never know.
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
15 Aug 2015 11:09AM
Adobe released support for that camera on 29th July and is available in the stand alone version of LR 6 as well as the CC version.
15 Aug 2015 11:17AM

Quote:Adobe released support for that camera on 29th July and is available in the stand alone version of LR 6 as well as the CC version

They've certainly upped their game, then. I've had to wait several weeks in the past for new cameras to be catered for. Nice to hear that.
15 Aug 2015 11:32AM
Most of the time the problem lies not with Adobe but with Camera manufacturers. As all the algorithms of all their RAW files are different they (manufacturers) guard their secrets and often will not give them to software manufacturers who are therefore unable to write software for that particular algorithm. Maybe that at last manufacturers are seeing that all this time they have been shooting themselves in the foot. Folk will often not buy a camera which is not supported by a decent RAW processor.
15 Aug 2015 11:54AM

Quote:Folk will often not buy a camera which is not supported by a decent RAW processor.
Good point. I always convert to DNG . The Pentax DSLR I used has DNG offered as a native file type anyway.
Chrism8 13 958 27 England
15 Aug 2015 1:31PM

Quote: I always convert to DNG . The Pentax DSLR I used has DNG offered as a native file type anyway.

Me to, I always shoot in DNG ( Pentax ) then it doesn't matter if you change camera's, the software will always recognise the file.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
15 Aug 2015 6:37PM

Quote:I picked up a Panasonic GX8 yesterday and shot some stuff on it today. Normally have to wait for a new camera to be recognised by LR (because I only shoot RAW, I suppose) . Not this time, the camera is just out and it's already catered for.

I have a Creative Cloud account so it's one of the things that happens during the regular updates, I guess. I didn't fancy the Creative Cloud thing when it first came out but with professional pressures on my time, having the latest PS and LR is paying off in convenience. At the moment it seems a bargain and my one concern is that it makes me a hostage to fortune. What if Adobe just doubled or tripled the price next year?

I hope they wouldn't be so daft but with modern companies attitude to long term customers you never know.

They won`t up the prices like that, they would be cutting there own throats, if anything they will probably make the deals even better.
16 Aug 2015 6:20PM

Quote:if anything they will probably make the deals even better.
You're probably right - I hope so. I've always been a bit suspicious of Adobe because of their long time policy of charging a pound for a dollar to us British. They say a leopard doesn't change its spots but since Adobe's Photoshop can change a leopard's spots, maybe Adobe has changed it's too!
16 Aug 2015 6:29PM
Not so long ago you could log into your Olympus account and sign up to the Adobe Photographers package with I think about a 15% discount, you did not even need to buy any new products.

The offer was not of much use to me, I was already signed up, there have been quite a few deals floating around.

Here`s another, its the cheapest I`ve seen @ 6.98 a month including vat Smile

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/special-offers.html
16 Aug 2015 6:42PM
How come offers like that don`t appear in the Ephotozine news pages.
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
16 Aug 2015 9:26PM

Quote:You're probably right - I hope so. I've always been a bit suspicious of Adobe because of their long time policy of charging a pound for a dollar to us British. They say a leopard doesn't change its spots but since Adobe's Photoshop can change a leopard's spots, maybe Adobe has changed it's too!

I don't think CC has been an easy sell for Adobe, and the backlash would probably be devastating if they tried changing horses midstream, They're gaining more and more customers all the time who never bought any more than Elements, or used pirated copies of Photoshop and LR, so I think we're safe for awhile, in my opinion.
17 Aug 2015 12:58PM

Quote:so I think we're safe for awhile, in my opinion.
I can't find an emoji for fingers crossed but if I could it would be here!
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 Aug 2015 5:00PM

Quote:I don't think CC has been an easy sell for Adobe,

Over 5 million paying customers, the last I heard, which was around June of this year.
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
17 Aug 2015 6:19PM
Keith, it would be interesting to know how many people "paid" for Photoshop and Lightroom the year prior to CC.Smile Another stat that would be interesting is how many have bought into Adobe's other products as a result of CC? It's a long term investment for Adobe, obviously, and may not show the financial returns they need for a couple years.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 Aug 2015 11:19PM
Adobe have always been a bit guarded on numbers when it comes to sales figures of PS and much of their other software. What you can glean is that nearly 45% of their current income of around 4billion comes from "recurring sales" and their annual gross income has increased by something like 11-14% since the introduction of the various CC package but Cloud as a whole has seen huge percentage point increases, far and above the projected numbers. I would imagine Adobe are more than pleased with its success.

After Windows, Photoshop became the most pirated software around.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.