Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lightweight, Travel tripod

RLB Plus
7 52 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2012 6:30PM
I have already a 'Manfrotto 055xprob' tripod but can anybody recommend a much lighter & more compact Tripod to take 7D +Lens up to 70/300 mm as I find the 055xprob a little bit to heavy to take on my London shoots. Ray

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit Plus
5 7.9k 13 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2012 6:38PM
Velbon Ultra Rexi-L.

It is a surpsisingly stable tripod and packs down to 30cm (plus head) and as a result I find if it is strapped to the side of a bag it does not sway around as much as my 190XProB. It is as light as the Manfrotto carbon fibre 'pods and also higher than the Manfrotto when fully extended.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/velbon-ultra-rexi-l-tripod-review-16157

I use it with my 7D +100-400 with no problem.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
29 Oct 2012 7:44PM
I have a 190cxProb which is slightly lighter than the 055 models but, frankly, it is not really sturdy enough for use outside in any sort of wind. The balance between lightness and sturdiness does bedevil any attempt to get a decent compromise.

Paul Morgan Plus
14 16.9k 6 England
29 Oct 2012 8:16PM
Just get yourself a full sized tripod that packs shorter, these usually have an extra leg section.
Professional 8 128 United Arab Emirates
14 Nov 2012 9:42PM
If you have a deep good budget then don't look less than Gitzo and/or ReallyRight Stuff CF tripods, i have only Gitzo CF tripods and i never never look back at another brands such as Manfrotto or Feisol or Velbon or Benro, sure they are pricey but they are high quality and stay with you for long long time, save for long time and for lifetime tripod or long term tripod, i have Manfrotto 190 XProB and Gitzo CF killed it out of water.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.