Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lightweight tripods

spickles 7 3 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2018 2:07PM
I am finding my Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with 804RC2 head too heavy at over 3 kg for landscape photography so I am considering getting the Manfrotto Befree Advanced which is about half the weight. It is recommended by Ephotzine in its review and I know it is not as tall as my present tripod. The local camera shop does not stock them so to see one I would have to make a 90 minute each way journey. So if you have made a similar change or have one of the Befree Advanced tripos I would be very grateful for your comments

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8 11 915 21 England
9 Aug 2018 2:20PM
The problem with a lighter tripod is they are not as stable..
saltireblue Plus
8 8.3k 33 Norway
9 Aug 2018 2:42PM

Quote:The problem with a lighter tripod is they are not as stable..

They can usually be made more stable by hanging your camera bag, et al, from the centre column.
9 Aug 2018 3:12PM
I use a 190XPRO with Xpro ball head. it's a bit lighter than the 055 and less bulky. May be another option.
spickles 7 3 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2018 4:03PM
Thanks for the comments
The Xpro legs and happened weigh 2.5kg so not a significant saving
I know if will not be as stable but how different will it be
Chrism8 11 915 21 England
9 Aug 2018 5:34PM
Imo I don't think you'll really notice the 0.5kg weight saving and would suggest you stay with the 055b for the extra height advantage and the additional diameter on the legs.
dabbler100 7 13 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2018 7:32PM
I have the same setup as you but have just purchased a Novo T10. It is considerably lighter and a well made piece of kit. Take a look at the review on https://fstoppers.com/. I did consider one from three legged thing but the legs are five section and the centre column was in sections, I considered this to be too wobbly. The Novo is light but rigid so something hung on the hook at the bottom of the centre column works a treat.

Good luck with your search.
LenShepherd 10 3.7k United Kingdom
10 Aug 2018 6:51AM

Quote: so something hung on the hook at the bottom of the centre column works a treat.

A more stable heavier tripod works even better with a weight attached.
This aside I have yet to see a photographer using a tripod with a weight attached to it Wink
emmaK22 Plus
7 109 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2018 8:54AM

Why not try your luck and enter this month's competition, where you can win a Befree tripod and a bag: https://www.ephotozine.com/competitions/win-a-manfrotto-tripod---bag-in-the-august--holiday--competition--280 Smile
dcash29 12 2.3k England
10 Aug 2018 10:17AM
You want lightweight, look at a SIRUI T-025X Tripod with Ballhead - Carbon Fibre.
Very compact with good stability unless you are taking images in rough weather.
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.1k 58 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2018 3:52PM
I got a Slik Sprint 150 as it folded up small enough to just go in a rucksack, (Weight: 2.3 lb) - it feels 'Just' able to hold my SLR and a wide zoom lens.
It seems just OK - so I like having it when travel is needed. It was cheap too.

Though i don't use tripods anywhere near as much as i should.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.