Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Line rental

Ross_D Plus
5 838 1 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2016 11:34AM
Having signed up for Netflix and Amazon Prime I'm thinking of upgrading to fibre rather than broadband and have been looking at various deals. What strikes me is the number of 'great deals' out there which look great until you read the very small print which (typically) says something like ' plus 17.99 month line rental'. So, what is 'line rental' and who gets the fee ? Is it wholly BT who then rent it out to companies like Virgin, Sky etc. Or is it down to the individual companies to make a charge. Just curious.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 4 2.7k England
11 Feb 2016 11:42AM
It depends on where you live. For me here in the sticks (Dorset) there is only BT as they are the only one who have any cable at all - in fact it has now got so bad that the other companies will not provide broadband in this area - stuck with BT or Plusnet (owned by BT). If you are in an area where Virgin or Sky have their own cables then the line rental goes to them for your broadband - the land line phone may or may not go to BT depending on what packages are available and what you choose. My solution to this was to ditch BT completely - so no land line only mobile - and initially have satellite broadband which overall worked out slightly cheaper than the BT option (including the mobile phone costs) and gave me download speeds of around 12Mbps (BT was 1.5Mbps). But I now have Wessex Internet which is half the price and gives me download speeds of 30Mbps and I can again use my 'land' line via Vonage for a fraction of the cost of BT.
Newdevonian 7 466 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2016 12:02PM
Can you retain a ********@btinternet.com e-mail address?
keithh 16 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
11 Feb 2016 12:42PM
Unless you're on a Virgin cable and your internet arrives via your phone line, fibre or otherwise, then your line rental ultimately goes to Open Reach.

Companies buy access in wholesale amounts, hence the difference in pricing.
Ross_D Plus
5 838 1 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2016 1:55PM
All replies & info appreciated. I'm lucky in that I have access to all the major suppliers so can take my pick. I currently have a phone + broadband account with EE (Orange??) and initially got 1/2 price rental for 1 year but that ends next month. Can't quite understand why the various suppliers can't offer a complete package (ie inclusive of line rental) instead of quoting a special offer and then tacking on a charge for line rental.

Quote:Can you retain a ********@btinternet.com e-mail address?

I clicked the link and Windows Live Mail came up ??????
11 Feb 2016 3:55PM
I have retained a .......@btinternet.com email address - I actually use Incredimail and have done for a good few years even when I was with BT. One of the reasons for ditching BT was that I couldn't get my emails through BT - and after having 'India' delving into my computer on two occasions for over 3 hours trying to sort it I became more than disenchanted. And of course Open Reach belongs to BT - another bugbear as it creates another set of hoops to go through, prolongs everything and nobody seems to be answerable.
Migster 6 107 England
11 Feb 2016 4:06PM
You pay your line rental to your service provider..... If your service provider uses an openreach line to connect to your home they will lease that line from openreach. I believe the price paid to openreach per year for a line is around 35. Compare that against your monthly line rental and you can see that openreach / BT is not making a killing.
Hope this makes things clearer.

BTW. I agree with your comment regarding how the costs are broken down. The information is there but not that obvious.
CTee 13 131 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2016 4:53PM
Hi
when choosing your package make sure that it has enough download entitlement. Eg BT infinity 1, is fibre but only has 40g. Not much good for watching Netflix!

Some of the deals are not that great when you see what you are getting!
CTee 13 131 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2016 4:55PM
Might be worth finding out what will happen as BT is taking over EE.
11 Feb 2016 5:05PM
Is the unlimited Sky fibre with line rental and all calls for around 35 on a 12 month contract still available. It was last month.
11 Feb 2016 5:10PM

Quote:
I believe the price paid to openreach per year for a line is around 35.

But the yearly price paid to BT/Open Reach by the consumer is 100 a year more - I would call that a 'killing'.
11 Feb 2016 5:16PM
About the usual mark up for a great many products you buy everyday.,
MikeA 15 1.3k England
11 Feb 2016 8:35PM
My sky package 35, line rental, unlimited all day call, unlimited internet (18mb) runs Netflix no problem.
jembo 15 139 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2016 9:46PM
Just been looking at the prices for BT and their Infinity 1 package. Cheapest deal is 17.99 per month line rental, and 7.50 per month for Broadband. Works out to 84p per day. Not a bad price really considering what you get access to and what you are able to do. After all, how much is a newspaper these days and what can you do with that?
But they do do cheaper - and more expensive. Depends what calls package you select.
You just have to compare deals from providers, see what's available and what works for you.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
11 Feb 2016 10:35PM

Quote:Is the unlimited Sky fibre with line rental and all calls for around 35 on a 12 month contract still available. It was last month.

Talktalk were doing a good deal, all in about 30 a month.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.